Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > HARD Time with Beer QD

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default HARD Time with Beer QD

Anybody have serious difficulty getting the beer (black) quick disconnect to slide down the output keg body? It seems every now and then that sucker does NOT want to go, and I can't even get it down to slide the ring into locked position. That's when I gotta get out my deadblow hammer and make things happen I mean, I gotta get that beer out!

Seriously though, I thought there was a different shaped keg body for gas in and beer out, but they look the same. It's not just a single defunct black QD either...I've had it happen before. You think keg lube might help?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Let's just say that if you have to force it on then it's the wrong post. Chances are you have them switched.

There are other threads here with pics of both, but basically it's this:

If the post has a small flange (near the middle), is removed from the keg with a 12-point socket then it is GAS IN and the grey QD is used.

The BEER OUT is usually 6-points and the flange is twice as large.

The SIMPLEST way to remember which goes where is Grey is for Gas and Black is for Beer...or GG and BB.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Keg lube will definitely help assuming the posts are correct. That stuff is liquid gold IMHO

Old 07-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Man, I knew there had to be some difference in the posts! So 12 points, gas in; 6 points, beer out. I think I probably just put matching posts on the same keg, assuming that the only difference was the size of wrench needed to remove them. I'm gonna try it! I think you guys just managed to keep my blood pressure a little lower....

Old 07-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I agree with Homebrewer_99, you've got the posts switched. I didn't notice they were different either until the same thing happened to me. I'm not home right now to check, but one has notches so you can tell. Take note of the differences and write it down so you'll know the next time.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

You also may want to only clean 1 keg at a time. Even though all the parts look almost the same, you don't want to find out the way that I did that you have swapped poppets around.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I picked up some gas in connectors from the US and they will not fit on my gas in post on Canadian kegs.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkie333
Man, I knew there had to be some difference in the posts! So 12 points, gas in; 6 points, beer out. I think I probably just put matching posts on the same keg, assuming that the only difference was the size of wrench needed to remove them. I'm gonna try it! I think you guys just managed to keep my blood pressure a little lower....
I'm also betting you have the wrong connector but what homebrewer_99 is saying about 6 and 12 point QDs isn't always true. All of my connectors be them beer out or gas in are 6 point.
The main thing to look for is the difference in size of the flange on the QD. There isn't a big difference but the beer out is larger.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 07-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
I'm also betting you have the wrong connector but what homebrewer_99 is saying about 6 and 12 point QDs isn't always true. All of my connectors be them beer out or gas in are 6 point.
The main thing to look for is the difference in size of the flange on the QD. There isn't a big difference but the beer out is larger.
You are right Rich. I just assumed he had 6 and 12 points.

I have 2 different styles for each. I've been asking around to see if anyone is interested in trading posts so I can standardize all my posts to one style (the 6 and 12 point versus the smaller post).

The 6 and 12 point posts are 7/8". I want to standardize to one size because I would only need 1 wrench and the poppets would be interchangable.

If anyone is interested in standardizing their posts and acquiring the smaller ones I have like 6 sets to trade.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
Rich- Not to nuke this topic, but by "connector", you mean keg body, right? I was pretty sure the quick disconnects (grey/black parts) are standard, or am I wrong about that too?

Quick Reply