Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Half chest freezer Half fermentation chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
sjlammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Half chest freezer Half fermentation chamber

So i have like 6 pounds of hops now, and no place to store them.... I think that SWMBO would like to have a chest freezer, and I would like to have a fermentation chamer. I had an idea on how to get both, but I wanted to run it by the gurus.

I was thinking that i could split a chest freezer into two sections. the first section would be a freezer, and it would be controlled by the OEM temperature controller.

There would be a wall between the sections comprised of rigid foam board and plastic paneling. A fan would blow cold air from the freezer to fermentation chamber controlled by a Johnson Temperature Controller.

The wall would be 3" of rigid foam paneling, and would hopefully seal to the lid when the lid is shut.

Do you think this will work?

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do not believe it will work, the condenser coils run in the walls of the freezer, so you could have no way to stop the freezer from cooling the whole thing.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

oh sh-t, i thought there was a blower like in my fridge... I thought this was going to be banner idea

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Quick Reply