Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Haier NuCool for fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
renevdb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Haier NuCool for fermentation

Anyone looked at the Haier NuCool 2.8 CU fridge for fermenting?

The outside demensions look like it can hold a carboy but can't find any inside demensions to confirm. Also haven't seen them in the store localy so if somebody see this thing please measerure

Primary: Strong Belgium Blonde

Bottle: Abdij II, Wit, Cool Vienna, Dad's Dubbel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I actually have a couple of them in production. They work great for ales but I don't think they would do well for lagers if you have a warm room (they are rated to to 37F in a 70F ambient room).

The dimensions are fine except for the inside shelves on the door. I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to carve them out a bit:

dremel-fridge-working.jpg

Then I covered up the insulation with duct tape to keep any condensation out:

dremel-fridge-duct-tape.jpg

Here it is with a 6.5 gallon Ale Pail. I actually cut out the second shelf on the door as well since I did this so you can ignore the metal shelf the pail is sitting on. Balancing the pail on that thing got old real fast:

dremel-fridge-done.jpg

With the Ale Pail, I have 7" of clearance above the lid of the bucket.

A 5 gallon glass carboy fits in there without modification (I have a second one I use for secondaries and it is unmodified).

With airlocks on (standard 3 piece), I have 2"-3" of clearance using an Ale Pail and 1"-2" of clearance using a 5 gallon carboy.

I don't know the dimensions of a 6.5 gallon carboy but that may be a really tight fit. You might have to use some alternative to an airlock.

I'm very happy with the performance. They're pretty quiet and I can maintain any ale temperature with ease.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
renevdb
Recipes 

Great, I will pick one up later this week when they are back in stock. Perfect for my Belgian Ales

Primary: Strong Belgium Blonde

Bottle: Abdij II, Wit, Cool Vienna, Dad's Dubbel

Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
bhs668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After discovering this thread I did some quick research and discovered they are sold by Target. Over to target.com and discovered they are on sale this week for $79 which is $50 off.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs668 View Post
After discovering this thread I did some quick research and discovered they are sold by Target. Over to target.com and discovered they are on sale this week for $79 which is $50 off.
Wow. That's a really good deal. I paid full price for both of mine.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
fartingdog
Recipes 

Has anybody tried to see of a couple corney kegs would fit in these? I couldn't get the internal dimensions. I was thinking of using them for extra space for cold-conditioning (I have more kegs going that can fit in my keezer!)

Being drunk is the best feeling in my poor world. - Drinky Crow

Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

$79! Great price! I am now torn whether I want to invest in another 28 bottle wine cooler or this thing for a fermentation chamber. +s for wine cooler - no mod necessary, will keep at any temp from 50 to 65. Basically an instant chamber. But no ability to lager. (But I do have a 90 cubic foot fridge that I keep at 35 that will hold as many carboys as I could ever own.) Other minus is that the wine cooler is a little more money.

Evil, you say that the fridge is not good for lagering? Is 37 degrees not good enough for lagering? Also, if you are investing in the external thermostat anyway, can't you push that temp lower than 37?

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Evil, you say that the fridge is not good for lagering? Is 37 degrees not good enough for lagering? Also, if you are investing in the external thermostat anyway, can't you push that temp lower than 37?
That's 37F in a 70F room under optimum conditions. If your ambient temperature is higher (my house is usually closer to 80F) and you have an exothermic fermentation going on, I wouldn't count on going much lower than 50F. I haven't tried it, though.

The external thermostat turns the entire fridge on an off which means even if you set the external thermostat lower, the internal one will stop at 37F.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 View Post
That's 37F in a 70F room under optimum conditions. If your ambient temperature is higher (my house is usually closer to 80F) and you have an exothermic fermentation going on, I wouldn't count on going much lower than 50F. I haven't tried it, though.

The external thermostat turns the entire fridge on an off which means even if you set the external thermostat lower, the internal one will stop at 37F.
(Wow! warm house. I would be miserable.) My basement runs a steady 62 in Summer and 56 in Winter.)

I was just assuming that one would bypass the internal t-stat since it is such an easy surgery.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
bhs668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The real issue may be the technology in regards to a low of 37. This unit has no compressor or coolant.

Quick Reply