New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Had to dump last 6 batches - Need help finding culprit!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #31
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger9913 View Post
...I think I was told a long time ago from some experiencds homebrewers that 1oz per 5 gallons is good. After reading the container it actually calls for 1-2oz per gallon for brewing kettles, and .75oz per gallon for tanks and fermenters.

Once I did that this weekend with a 2.5oz/gallon ratio my kettles cleaned up like they've never been used to brew with.

Paul - Thanks for the PBW/StarSan split, I'm going to need it.
Thats the problem with having so many different chemicals with different dilutions, it's easy to mix things up. The 1oz per 5 gallons is correct for Starsan. Hopefully that good clean will solve your problem

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Interesting point on the filter, Dg.

Curious how big the filter would need to be to get a decent flow through it? Also, wondering if any desirable components would be filtered out as well...
I've only used mine once. Flow wasn't an issue. I counterpressure transferred it from a sanke I'd been fermenting in, so the beer was already carbed.

I think .45 micron absolute is pretty fine. I have to admit that the flavor of the beer seemed to change after filtering it. Not much, but there was a difference. It could just be the total lack of yeast in it as a filter this fine filters 100% of yeast out.

Beer still tastes wonderful, so it's hard to say. That being said, I am going to try going with a 1 micron filter next time.

Crash cool first if you're interested in trying it.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

In case anyone is interested I now have 10 gallons of an awesome IPA on tap that does not appear to be infected in any way. I did a batch a month ago and borrowed an immersion chiller instead of using my CFC. So it looks like the culprit was the CFC or the pump. I did a batch last week with my CFC and pump but only after an extensive cleaning and sanitizing so we'll see if I got it all.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good deal Ranger. I really hope it turns out good for you. I still use a rib cage IC for thaty very reason. I have been going back and forth about recirculating while I have my IC in and im still a little hesitant on doing it for sanitation reasons.

Shoot I run boiling water for 10 minutes and then iodophor rinse for another 10 in my RIMS tube and I still see crap the next brew session come through.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #35
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice, it must be a relief to have found the culprit.

_

Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #36
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 31

That's great news. I would be so bummed if I went through what you did. Ever think of getting a stainless plate chiller?

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 07-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #37
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Now I'm all worried about my CFC.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Quick Reply