Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Had to dump last 6 batches - Need help finding culprit!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #11
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

While in the CFC does the wort contact copper? Is it possible there is copper corrossion (i.e. that green crap that builds up on your pretty copper goodness) on the inside of the CFC that you just can't get at?

I'm really interested to see how this all works out for you. I wish you nothing but the best!

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's possible but I can't really see the inside very well. Was thinking about using my old IC for a batch. I guess it's all about eliminating variables until I find the culprit.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #13
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

If you are fermenting to terminal gravity in 48 hours, the internal fermenter temps are way higher than you think, probably +10 to +15 degrees at high kraeusin, and if there was any hop aroma, it blew out the air lock. Personal experience with ambient cooled 20 gallon conicals lead to installation of internal SS cooling coils to control ferment temperatures, ambient cooling is insufficient with fast ferments and larger volumes. With that fast a ferment you had better bump the mash temp up 2 - 4 degrees to compensate and add 1 Lb wheat malt to the grain bill for the head retention proteins that brings with it. That much yeast growth and activity will have chewed up what proteins there were for head retention, leaving a light bodied beer behind.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a 6" RTD probe in my conical which controls my heat/AC. Do you think I'm still have those high temp swings?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #15
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try taking ball valve a part. You might be surprised what you find in there. I was when I did mine last week. Also might replace raking cane go with SST one you can always bake it in oven to make sure you kill any bugs. Replace all hoses, clean all kegs parts and fittings.

Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy.
-Ben Franklin

Old 06-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #16
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Try taking ball valve a part. You might be surprised what you find in there. I was when I did mine last week. Also might replace raking cane go with SST one you can always bake it in oven to make sure you kill any bugs. Replace all hoses, clean all kegs parts and fittings.
Did that, everything was brush cleaned and PBW soaked and then put back together for a 2hr recirc.

Just had a pint of yet another brew about to be dumped. I noticed it's leaving a slippery, butter/oily residue in my mouth after each swig if that helps identify anything. Also, even though I keg I'm losing my foam head within 5 mins.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #17
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My guess would be contamination in the CFC. I had a similar problem for about the same number of batches. I used the copper coil as an IC and the problem went away.

Good luck finding the issue. I feel your pain.

All you can do is go step by step, changing one or two variables each batch until you find the culprit.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #18
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm also going to rebrew a batch I dumped on another persons HERMS system and if it turns out good then I know it's not my recipe it's a component of my brewery.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #19
Mike_A
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lot of good troubleshooting recommendations here. A buttery taste is usually diacetyl, lots of causes for that - infection, underpitching, overoxygenation, pitched too hot. Not saying that's what the off taste is from, just another possibility.

When you use the CFC, do you recirculate boiling wort through it for any amount of time before starting to cool it? I do that for 15 minutes before kicking on the cooling water to sanitize the CFC each time.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #20
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You could try filtering it with a .45 micron filter prior to kegging. This is small enough to be sterile and filter out any bacteria that may be transferring and ruining your beer once it's kegged. This could help you determine if the problem is somehow in your kegs or in transfer equiptment.

Just an idea. Good luck.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Quick Reply