Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Guiness bottles with the widget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Fudd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Guiness bottles with the widget

I don't know if anyone has tried this. I made a stout recently and bottled it in those guiness bottles with the widget inside, hoping for the same creamy foam. While it was bottling I found out it is nitrogen and not just the widget that does it. Here is the strange thing: All the beers in regular bottles are normal stout and open fine, all the guiness bottles however foam over like crazy when you open them, and It seems that the initial foamover is the creamy guiness foam...is it possible that some nitrogen gets trapped in the widget somehow?I mean you could argue that maybe when a stout foams over, the head looks creamier but then why do only the guiness bottles explode like this? Has anyone else experienced this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you take the widgets out and clean and sanitize them before putting them back in the clean and sanitized bottles?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 10-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Fudd
Recipes 

Quote: Did you take the widgets out and clean and sanitize them before putting them back in the clean and sanitized bottles?

Have you seen these before? the only way you could get them out would be to smash the bottle, so no. The thing is I was trying to get guiness foam, so if I could just get the whole thing into a glass that would be great.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Never tried this. I suspect what is happening is the widget is filling with stout and when you open the bottle, it foams out through the little "creamy foam making" hole. Since it only has a small amount of CO2 in it, you only get a little creme.

In production, the widget gets a shot of liquid nitrogen. It's not likely than any is left.

Some forms of infection produce creamy foam & I think it would be really tough to sanitize an widget short of a pressure cooker.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd
Have you seen these before? the only way you could get them out would be to smash the bottle, so no. The thing is I was trying to get guiness foam, so if I could just get the whole thing into a glass that would be great.
Yes, I have 5 bottles sitting in the fridge. The widgets come out quite easily with a pair of needlenose.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 10-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Unless you are talking about a different system widgets are filled with nitrogen and release it when the bottle is opened. They are not reusable.

May be it just causing a disturbance in the beer on rekease and having the same effect as a beer that is poured too fast

Old 10-23-2005, 04:40 AM   #7
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
Unless you are talking about a different system widgets are filled with nitrogen and release it when the bottle is opened. They are not reusable.

May be it just causing a disturbance in the beer on rekease and having the same effect as a beer that is poured too fast
Actually, the widgets are not filled with nitrogen. They are placed into the bottle empty, the bottle is filled, then a drop of liquid nitrogen is placed into the bottle and it is immediately sealed.

As the liquid nitrogen begins to boil off, the pressure in the bottle forces beer into the widget. When you pop the top, the pressure is released and the beer is forced out of the tiny little holes in the widget, resulting in the ensuing fine creamy head.

So yes, the widget does cause the effect, and yes, liquid nitrogen is involved, but the widget does not contain the nitrogen.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:45 AM   #8
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

OK, my mouth has been made to water...time for a homebrew!

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
Actually, the widgets are not filled with nitrogen. They are placed into the bottle empty, the bottle is filled, then a drop of liquid nitrogen is placed into the bottle and it is immediately sealed.

As the liquid nitrogen begins to boil off, the pressure in the bottle forces beer into the widget. When you pop the top, the pressure is released and the beer is forced out of the tiny little holes in the widget, resulting in the ensuing fine creamy head.

So yes, the widget does cause the effect, and yes, liquid nitrogen is involved, but the widget does not contain the nitrogen.
I know I'm bringing back an old thread here, but....

if the description of the widget that bikebryan gave is correct, then can't the widgets be re-used, even if you don't have liquid nitrogen available?

I mean.... the pressure build up from the CO2 generated during bottle conditioning should be able to produce the same effect; forcing beer into the empty widget.

-walker

Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I guess so but the nitrogen creates small bubbles than CO2 hence the creamier head.

Quick Reply