Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Grrrr.... I think my keezer died

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
BigHefty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Grrrr.... I think my keezer died

I've got a 4 year old converted GE freezer. Went to the garage yesterday and my temp sensor showed it was way high. The compressor was running but not getting cold. Anyone know if it's worth while to have this thing checked out? Paid $170 brand new so I don't necessarily want to put a whole bunch of effort into it.

Geoff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Sounds just like mine. I'm guessing it's out in the cold garage? The compressors don't like that.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
BigHefty

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep.... had it in the garage all winter here in Mich. I guess that's a lesson learned. I didn't know that those compressors didn't like the winter. Sigh.... maybe it's my excuse to get a bigger freezer for more beer!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Call your local appliance parts house and ask if they have a "garage kit" in stock that you can adapt to your machine. When ambient temps get too low garage kept refrigerators (which is what you have turned your freezer into) quit cooling. Once your ambient temps come back up you should be ok unless the compressor is fried, at that point its time to just replace it.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
BigHefty

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How do I know if the compressor is fried?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There are things like, the compressor will be too hot to touch, or it will short cycle repeatedly, like only run for as few seconds before kicking out on the overload, or it will get noticeably louder when it cycles on, or the relay will short out.....

These machines are very simple systems where not much can go wrong, so if its running and the compressor isn't too hot to touch, warm is ok, sounds normal, your probably ok.

I guess i should ask, did you just put a collar or tower on it or did you go the full blown Jester route with a cabinet? I assume that since its in the garage you just put a collar or tower on it.

The reason for asking is two fold.

First that condenser in most chest freezers is part of the cabinet, which is why guys who put them in cabinets run fans in the cabinet to keep them cool. So if there isn't sufficient cooling on the outside you wont get sufficient cooling inside.

Second, are you certain that you didn't damage a coolant line during conversion? A pin hole leak could take time to bleed off the refrigerant in the system and if you have a line leak, well your back to square one, replace the unit.

Sorry for the rambling reply but i just want to be thorough.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
BigHefty

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply Static. Here's the info on the keezer. I've had this for about 5 years. Bought it brand new and built a collar for it. It has run just fine for those past 5 years until yesterday. However, I hadn't kept it in the garage running through winter until this past year. I built an "eBay temp controller" and have been using that for the past year after using an analog Johnson controller. I'm going to plug it back in and see if I can notice any problems you mentioned. I will say, however, that when I first noticed the temp being higher than normal, the freezer was running. It didn't sound loud or bad. Another thing to note, the past few days are the first few days since it's actually had to do some "cooling" since winter kept it mostly cool. More to come....

Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It sounds like its just the ambient temps messing with you then. IDK what Michigan is like right now but its snowing in Seattle.....

Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
BigHefty

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, it's still not cooling. Temp inside is 51.4 and outside is 51. Not making any loud noises. I couldn't check if it was running hot.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've come to find that the cold temps don't temporarily make it stop cooling. The oil that keeps the compressor lubed and cool gets too viscous to do its job and that screws it all up. When it was working fine, I'd get the keezer to stick around at 40F in any ambient temp all the way down to 45. When it "went", it was 52 ambient and 53 in the keezer (setpoint 40).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply