Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Group Buy: Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra barrier line

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #231
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I can't remember - has anyone used this tubing on their nitro tap? If yes, let me know!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #232
DustBow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So with the "glass-like" interior of this stuff, how long should it last?
Still replace it every year or is it almost ageless?

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #233
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Not sure what you're basing all that on, but it's completely backwards.

3/16″ ID vinyl tubing = ~3 psi/ft
1/4″ ID vinyl tubing = ~0.85 psi/ft

Those numbers vary depending on the actual types of tubing, but their relationship won't change much.

So to balance a system you'd need like four times as much 1/4" ID tubing as 3/16", and then you'd have way, way more beer sitting in the tubing between pours...

Cheers!
I'm basing it on backwards thinking Thanks for the clarification.

I'm trying to figure out the advantage of this line over a more flexible line that requires less length. Maybe it's just the mysterious "Flushable Glas-Flex™ liner." The Basic 3/16" beer line at Midwest Supplies (their prices are ridiculous...this line can be had for cheap) states:

The 3/16" beer line is the best size use for most home systems. 6 feet will give a great pour in the 8 to 14 psi range. Provides proper restriction for runs under 10 feet. 6 feet is recommended for a foam free pour.

By using this line we apparently have a lower flavor retention in the line from the beer (How much? No idea.), and hopefully less "line flavor/smell" in the beer, however we increase the amount of beer in the line by a factor of 3. This line would need to be 3 times more effective at flushing to be equally effective to vinyl beverage line. We could also switch out with new regular beverage line much more often due to the lower cost involved with cheaper line and 3 times less of it to purchase/deal with.

Okay, I'm ready for everyone to blast this post. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #234
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The Accuflex website states that the ID of this hose is actually 0.190, so it is larger than 3/16 = 0.1875. That could be another contributing factor to the longer lengths required.

(I haven't read all 233 posts up to this point, so if someone has already posted this, forgive me.)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #235
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't think it's the same thing. The Accuflex is impermeable, and thus its "flushing effectiveness" is literally infinite... therefore making it infinitely more "effective at flushing" than vinyl tubing (a lot more than 3!)

Your beer can sit in the line for really any amount of time, and not take on a plastic-like taste. Some people detect the taste in vinyl lines (from the vinyl and/or oxidation) after less than a day! Heck, once you taste your beers with barrier tubing, you may very well be able to pick out the vinyl taste no matter what. It's there. Either way, even if you're really insensitive to the off-flavors due to vinyl tubing, everybody has a point where the plastic and/or cardboard taste in that first pour is too strong to deal with causing them to dump it.

Also, since vinyl is permeable (easily demonstrable by how quickly and easily it stains), it has a tendency to absorb flavors from beverages, which gets picked up by other beverages that end up using the same line. To me, that's a big issue... every beer served through vinyl lines is tainted by the beers that came before it. Barrier tubing like Accuflex doesn't pick up any flavors. As an extreme example, try serving carbonated water through the same vinyl tubing that was recently used to serve root beer. I guarantee that you're going to taste the root beer. But with this stuff, a simple flush of the lines, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between brand new tubing, or tubing that has been serving root beer for a year! To get vinyl lines to perform similarly, you'd have to change the line AT LEAST as often as you switch what's being served. And that STILL wouldn't address any plastic off-flavors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke
The Accuflex website states that the ID of this hose is actually 0.190, so it is larger than 3/16 = 0.1875. That could be another contributing factor to the longer lengths required.

(I haven't read all 233 posts up to this point, so if someone has already posted this, forgive me.)
The line lengths are a function of resistance, and that's it. A .0025" (just over 1%) difference in ID isn't going to make an appreciable difference in resistance. The resistance is lower because of the material of the tubing itself. So the lines are longer because the material is different, plain and simple. That's all there is to it.

Bottom line is that it's a premium product. It's really the best beverage line available. And when you put it all into perspective, it really isn't that much of an investment to be able to taste your beer, and nothing else. You're not tasting your beer + vinyl, your beer + oxidation from the lines, or your beer + all the other beers that were ever served through the tubing. Just your beer.
In fact, it's marked up so little, that the price it's available to us for is significantly less than some other types of beverage line that don't even perform as well. And they are ALL purpose-made for serving beverages.

Vinyl tubing isn't though. It's just generic tubing, like I can buy at Home Depot. It wasn't ever made with serving beverages specifically in mind. Is it really any surprise that a vendor is trying to sell some generic tubing that costs next to nothing to buy in bulk?

Even still, the Accuflex tubing obviously isn't for everyone. To me, the reasonable cost of the premium stuff in order to get the most out my beer that I have spent so much time and money on is a no-brainer. But some people would rather not pay a mere $20 or $30 extra, and that's their call. It's your call. No one is forcing you to buy it. I made such a long post because I sincerely believe in the product, and believe in helping fellow brewers to make (and by extension, serve) the best beer they possibly can, but I'm not going to lose any sleep if you decide to go with vinyl.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #236
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Don't think it's the same thing. The Accuflex is impermeable, and thus its "flushing effectiveness" is literally infinite... therefore making it infinitely more "effective at flushing" than vinyl tubing
The great factor of "infinity." Gotta love it

The whole purpose in my questioning is to arrive at the best product for the beer, so I appreciate your thorough response based on your own experience. I haven't done enough research to find the science that supports all these claims by the manufacturer. Reading the real world experience of fellow homebrewers here on HBT seems the be the best way to gauge the best option.

Cheers!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #237
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Does anyone know what size Oetiker ear clamps to purchase for this line when using 3/16" barb fittings? Here is the McMaster-Carr page with the various sizes. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #238
Flomaster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke
Does anyone know what size Oetiker ear clamps to purchase for this line when using 3/16" barb fittings? Here is the McMaster-Carr page with the various sizes. Thanks.
I'll check when I get home

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Old 11-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #239
Flomaster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 37

ok, here are the Oetiker clamps I bought. I try not buying from McMaster as they tend to be over priced and I have no idea what shipping is until I get billed.

http://www.installationpartssupply.c...ss-clamps.html

The 9-5mm or the 10-0 work great for the 1/4" barbs I have both sized in my system.
The 8-7mm worked great for the bottle filler I used 3/16" OD ss tubing on.

-=Jason=-

Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #240
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

For all those people who are considering buying this, I will recommend it to anyone! I first equipped a small 2 keg kegerator set-up with fairly decent vinyl tubing and noticed hardly any flavor impact, however after a few kegs (despite cleaning), if the beer sat in the line for more than a day it was noticeable. For my new keezer set-up I bought vinyl tubing from a new LHBS and that plastic flavor was noticeable after just a few hours! I love this accuflex tubing and can't imagine going back to vinyl tubing.

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Quick Reply