Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Grommet infor requested - size/type/mfg ? (not reseller)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Ace_in_NY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grommet infor requested - size/type/mfg ? (not reseller)

Hey I'm thinking of buyoing a whole boat load of grommets for a project but I need to know the proper size for cheap generic airlock. Which material is best for the grommet to be maid out of? And which size is best choice? I see their are both 3/8 and 1/2 size drill hole in the plastic lid of plastic bucket, maybe more sizes? I'm looking at 5 gallon batch ...

Do you know the actual manufacturers too? I'm sure they are very low cost to make. The resellers seem to have them listed like half a buck ... they are marking up big time probably. I expect the grommet to be in the 1-5 cent range from mfg. in volume.

Might as well ask about the airlock mfg as well. Which do you guys think is better design and who is mfg them?

Thanks everyone...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

LD Carlson probably has airlocks manufactured but grommets are a generic industrial supply you can get from places like mcmaster.com and grainger.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Ace_in_NY
Recipes 

Those are companies that sell, not that make. Difference is like Procter & Gamble vs. Walmart. "LD Carlson Company is the major wholesale distributor of winemaking and beermaking equipment and supplies."

Thanks anyway though.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_in_NY View Post
Those are companies that sell, not that make. Difference is like Procter & Gamble vs. Walmart. "LD Carlson Company is the major wholesale distributor of winemaking and beermaking equipment and supplies."

Thanks anyway though.
Here's a Chinese company that makes air locks. Probably not the type you are looking for, but they may be able to put you in contact with someone that makes the three piece version:

http://www.ec21.com/product-details/Airlock--3908130.html

Quick Reply