Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Grolsch bottles in my dishwasher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Brewer_Steve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Grolsch bottles in my dishwasher

I've read a few threads about sterilizing bottles in the dishwasher.
It sounded like it would be much less effort than the normal soak in sanitizer and rinse.

I was going to try the dishwasher last night, but I ran into some issues.
Perhaps someone who does this more often can offer advice.

My dishwasher is a Maytag. It doesn't have a "sterilize" option, but it does have a "heated dry" which I'm hoping will sufficiently heat and sterilize the bottles.

When I put the bottles in the bottom rack, I need to remove the metal hardware to prevent them from getting whacked in by the swinging arm.

When I put bottles in the top rack, they don't quite fit. I can't lower the top rack enough for the bottles to fit upright. If I lie the bottles down on their side, will they still get sterilized by the steam?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
If I can't load bottles in the top rack, I won't be able to get enough bottles for a 5g batch in the dishwasher, and so it probably won't be worth the hassle....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't think most dishwashers get that hot (steam). Personally, I wouldn't take the unnecessary risk of wasting the time and money involved to get all the way to bottling only to find out a month down the road that the bottles didn't get sanitized well enough and some/all are infected.
Soak them for 3 or 4 minutes in a bucket and you will be good to go. It really doesn't take that long to do, especially considering all of the time you already have invested up to that point.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
jamesrm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm, my dryer has a steam feature and a rack that can remain stationary...do I dare...

Check out the Tennessee Brewers Club!

On Tap:
1. Edwort's Haus Ale
2. 312 Fruity

Fermenting:
1. Something Like Stella
2. Bohemian Pilsner - Silver Medalist
3. Edwort's Robust Porter

Conditioning
1. 40 gallons 2007 Muscadine Wine
2. Honkers Ale Clone from BTW Thread
3. El Dictator IIPA
4. Oktoberfest

Old 01-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Hop Hack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have done several washes of my fliptops in the dishwasher. Luckily the lower spinning arm in the bottom of the washer was low enough that I never had to remove the tops. Dump in a 1/4 cup or so of bleach and let it fly. I would still hit them with some starsan before bottling also, and never had a problem with this method. Then I purchased cornies and now I only bottle leftovers and experimental beer.

Quick Reply