Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Great Wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I assume that you were recirculating the wort to get in to drop in TEMP so fast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPBISME View Post
I assume that you were recirculating the wort to get in to drop in TEMP so fast?
No, I simply put the ic into the kettle and move it around a bit... Quick and easy and best of all easy to clean up, just a quick spray of the hose

Old 02-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, here's a pic of mine. You can see they are pretty similar in design and function. I have too much soldering on mine with the huge strips on the side holding it as a solid unit. If I redid it. I'd make those much smaller copper wire.

image-3321369868.jpg

image-3931327397.jpg

Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Fredderick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
Ok, here's a pic of mine. You can see they are pretty similar in design and function. I have too much soldering on mine with the huge strips on the side holding it as a solid unit. If I redid it. I'd make those much smaller copper wire.

Attachment 103953

Attachment 103954
Very nice...that thing is a beast!

I do like my copper wire holding everything together but yours has got to be 100% rock solid...there is still a small amount of play in mine but night and day difference from not having the wire binding it together!

I would love to see some other wort chiller creations that people have had. I l am always tinkering and if there is a better/different design out ther I would l would love to see it!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #15
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It is rock solid, no flex anywhere. I just redid it last weekend by elongating the 'spouts' so I could fully immerse it down in my keggle. I seriously think our design is maybe the most efficient immersion chiller there is.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredderick
I built the attached wort chiller recently and I have to say it was amazingly efficient! I used 50' of 5/8 inch refrig copper tubing. I wrapped the small diameter coil around my corny Keg and the larger around my ale pail fermenter.

I joined the two coils together using soldered 90's and a very short piece of copper. The uprights are from a piece I ridgid copper pipe (the exact size and type I don't remember).

All in I spent about $100 or a bit less on parts.

This thing took my boiling wort down to 68 degrees in only 7 minutes and 34 seconds! Really pleased with the results.

I am on well water in Maryland so my water is definitely cold but this worked much better than any previous chiller I had made.

BTW...I bought the fittings and
copper tubing from coppertubingsales.com for only 75 bucks or so.
I built a wort chiller that is pretty much like yours -- a smaller diameter coil centered on a larger diameter coil. I also get chill times similar to yours. I love it!

Finally, I bought my copper from the same place. I could not give them a better recommendation. I am very pleased with Copper Tubing Sales.

Mark

Quick Reply