New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Great Wort Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Fredderick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Great Wort Chiller

I built the attached wort chiller recently and I have to say it was amazingly efficient! I used 50' of 5/8 inch refrig copper tubing. I wrapped the small diameter coil around my corny Keg and the larger around my ale pail fermenter.

I joined the two coils together using soldered 90's and a very short piece of copper. The uprights are from a piece I ridgid copper pipe (the exact size and type I don't remember).

All in I spent about $100 or a bit less on parts.

This thing took my boiling wort down to 68 degrees in only 7 minutes and 34 seconds! Really pleased with the results.

I am on well water in Maryland so my water is definitely cold but this worked much better than any previous chiller I had made.

BTW...I bought the fittings and
copper tubing from coppertubingsales.com for only 75 bucks or so.

forumrunner_20130131_224649.jpg

forumrunner_20130131_224718.jpg

forumrunner_20130131_224738.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Wow, great looking IC. That thing looks pretty stout!

Just out of curiosity, what is the approx height from the base of the chiller to the top of the coils?

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I agree it looks great. Very impressive work.

Mine is much cheaper it is a bucket of ice in the fermenter and gets my wort down to temp in about 2 minutes

Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Fredderick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Wow, great looking IC. That thing looks pretty stout!

Just out of curiosity, what is the approx height from the base of the chiller to the top of the coils?
The inner coil is about 8 inches high and the outer coil is about 6 inches high

My cold water is fed to the shorter coil first then it goes up through the taller inner coil

Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Looks great! Interested in making another one and shipping to Cali?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Fredderick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfgonzo View Post
Looks great! Interested in making another one and shipping to Cali?
You know, I would consider it send me a PM if you are serious

Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got one almost exactly like this, I'll get a pic in here tomorrow. I can vouch for the performance, mine regularly chills with times I usually see with counterflow chillers. On sunday I took mine from boiling down to 55 in ~12 to 14 mins. (wasn't timing it, but it was around there). Granted our groundwater is like 45F right now, but that was also without moving it. If you grab the spouts and are constantly lifting it up and down, it chills way faster.

The only thing I'd do slightly different from this is to separate the coils a bit so hot wort can freely move betweem them creating even more surface cooling.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
Fredderick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
I've got one almost exactly like this, I'll get a pic in here tomorrow. I can vouch for the performance, mine regularly chills with times I usually see with counterflow chillers. On sunday I took mine from boiling down to 55 in ~12 to 14 mins. (wasn't timing it, but it was around there). Granted our groundwater is like 45F right now, but that was also without moving it. If you grab the spouts and are constantly lifting it up and down, it chills way faster.

The only thing I'd do slightly different from this is to separate the coils a bit so hot wort can freely move betweem them creating even more surface cooling.
I originally thought the same thing and agreed with you about the separation but as you mentioned, if you simply move the chiller up and down gently it chills quick. I also have separated and locked the coils as one unit by weaving in between the coils copper wire.

Just like you, I chilled to 54 this weekend and I did time it but it was under 12 if I had to bet. Once the temps get lower, the temp drops rapidly. I have accidentally overshot 68 a few times because it's a matter of seconds between 74 and 68.

Definitely have to put down the beer and pay attention while chilling with it.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #9
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Damn, I was looking for something like this......but went with a chillus convolutas. Looks good.

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine seems like it starts out crazy fast, then slows as the temps get closer to the ground water. It does go way gaster when moving it up and down, and you have to check the temps at the bottom of the pot and the top as they can be very different. I have mine going in the small coil to the bottom, then it winds its way back up the larger coil to the top.

Quick Reply