Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Great sanitation idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Torchiest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Great sanitation idea

Okay, I bottled my third batch last week. With my first batch we soaked them in sanitizer solution and then rinsed them, and had no infection problems. The second time, I soaked them and then sent them through the dishwasher for a rinse, and again, no infections.

My brother suggested that, rather than going through the hassle of soaking and rinsing all the bottles, why not just put them in the dishwasher with some iodophor instead of dish detergent. Sounded like a great idea to me, so we did it and bottled them up. Anyone else ever try this? Does it seem like a good idea, or is there some horrible flaw that I've missed?

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
Okay, I bottled my third batch last week. With my first batch we soaked them in sanitizer solution and then rinsed them, and had no infection problems. The second time, I soaked them and then sent them through the dishwasher for a rinse, and again, no infections.

My brother suggested that, rather than going through the hassle of soaking and rinsing all the bottles, why not just put them in the dishwasher with some iodophor instead of dish detergent. Sounded like a great idea to me, so we did it and bottled them up. Anyone else ever try this? Does it seem like a good idea, or is there some horrible flaw that I've missed?
There's no guarantee that water will get inside all of the bottles. But if you have a sanitizer setting, you should be good.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Iodophor stains too, so if the inside of your dishwasher is white now, it will be a dull yellowish color afterwards

Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

...and isn't it effected by heat???

Old 11-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
magno

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
...and isn't it effected by heat???
Yeah, it says on the bottle not to use with hot water. Good idea though.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Back when I bottled alot I would rinse and sanitize as I went, and then I would store the bottle upside down in the case box with a fresh sheet of newspaper in the bottom. Newsprint is really very clean, even if messy. I had good luck with this set-up.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've recently started to follow this "process". After a bottle is empty, wash it, store in a case box.

Day of bottling: Rinse the bottle with very, steaming hot (Read: Borderline if not Boiling) water from the tap. Hopefully your tap can get this hot; mine has instant-hot on it, so you can melt/disfigure a styrofoam/plastic cup its so hot if you use that. Just watch your hands. I usually just turn the tap as hot as it goes and it will get close to instant-hot temps.

After rinsing once or twice, dip into the other sink-well filled with starsan solution and fill the bottle. Dump out. Replace into case box face down or sink drainer. If in the box, make sure a clean sheet of paper/newspaper is placed into the bottom (as mentioned above).

When all 24-48 bottles are sanitized, bottle. We'll see if this process "holds water" or if I get some ruined bottles of brew. Let's hope not...

EDIT: I'm sure a bottle rack would be a safer bet than the case box or the sink drainer, but what do y'all think? I see the Brewpastor replaced them into the box, so I feel kind of comfortable...?

Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno
Yeah, it says on the bottle not to use with hot water. Good idea though.
Just how hot does water need to be to kill germs? 212ºF? Or only around 140-150º? Because my LHBS has an online guide that claims sending bottles through a dishwasher sanitizes them, and makes no real mention of using any sanitizer at all. I wonder how hot the water in a dishwasher gets anyway.
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Assuming the bottles are adequately clean, the heat dry cycle of an average dishwasher ought to be satisfactory to sanitize the bottles.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most DW's don't get that hot, unless you have a sanitizing heater switch or something similar, mine does. I'd be worried that not enough water would get inside the bottles. I've taken the advice of others here, rinse them when your done drinking them with hot water and place in box unside down. When ready to bottle, I make sure my DW is clean and empty, rinse the bottles in One Step, place them with the neck down in the dishwasher. When I got everything else set up, I simply grab them as I'm filling. So far, so good.

Quick Reply