Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Great Little Immersible Thermometer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
wendelgee2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Great Little Immersible Thermometer

http://www.drillspot.com/products/69...el_Thermometer

This thing is only about $30. It's got a 10' long fully immersible probe. You can dump it into the middle of your mash, seal up your tun, and monitor the temp for the full rest. It can go up to 300F, so you can dump it into your boil.

Throw away your digital thermometers with those finicky meat probes that always seem to get just wet enough to screw themselves up! Haven't you earned it?

The one downside is that there is no on/off switch. You just have to unscrew the back and take out the battery. Not a big deal.

I figure I'll glue a magnet on the back so I can plop it on the fridge door when I brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

nice find. I too am sick of the meat thermometer. You probably can get amazing battery life on something like that even if you don't remove the battery - they usually only use a bit more juice than an LCD clock.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelgee2 View Post
http://www.drillspot.com/products/69...el_Thermometer

This thing is only about $30. It's got a 10' long fully immersible probe. You can dump it into the middle of your mash, seal up your tun, and monitor the temp for the full rest. It can go up to 300F, so you can dump it into your boil.

Throw away your digital thermometers with those finicky meat probes that always seem to get just wet enough to screw themselves up! Haven't you earned it?

The one downside is that there is no on/off switch. You just have to unscrew the back and take out the battery. Not a big deal.

I figure I'll glue a magnet on the back so I can plop it on the fridge door when I brew.
Have you bought and used it?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Have you bought and used it?
Yuppers.

Only for one batch, but it worked great.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Just ordered mine! I am sure I am being overly cautious here, but do you think closing the top of the cooler on the cord will cause problems? Maybe i should make a hole in/slit in the cooler lid for this purpose?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
Poobah58
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The accuracy is only 1.8°F. That sucks, IMO!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
The accuracy is only 1.8°F. That sucks, IMO!
Ya, its not great, but so far my experience with different thermometers is that unless I spend 100+ on a scientific thermometer, its not gonna be dead accurate anyway. I have a digital thermometer that was about $20 and it can calibrate, but I find the temp fluctuates a lot in ice water (ice that has melted). This thermometer also seems to differ from my analog thermometer. So, how am I to know what is accurate in the 150º? I have no true control in the mash temp range. I decided to purchase mainly so I can monitor the mash temp without opening the lid and releasing heat. I will also stick my other digital thermometer in there to try and get and idea, but I would bet they will be off... probably by 3º or more haha. So which one do I trust?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Just ordered mine! I am sure I am being overly cautious here, but do you think closing the top of the cooler on the cord will cause problems? Maybe i should make a hole in/slit in the cooler lid for this purpose?
I worry about that every time. I just make sure not to tighten it down too much and hope for the best. :T

Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

As to temp...+/-1.8F is pretty poopy...but I haven't had any issues. It said my boil was about 212.7-213, which is about what my wort boils have always clocked in at. As far as mashing goes, we only have the allusion of control. The depth you're taking the temp at can make a 1-2*F difference. And, honestly, when you're drinking the beer are you really going to be able to tell the difference between a 150F mash and a 151F mash?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
bja
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelgee2 View Post
[Throw away your digital thermometers with those finicky meat probes that always seem to get just wet enough to screw themselves up! Haven't you earned it?
I water proofed my thermometer cable and probe with heat shring tubing. It's been working fine for years now.

Quick Reply