New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Grant for rims system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Grant for rims system

I have been searching the internet on grants and I cannot find anything. There is one thread on this board but it's not what I am looking for. Can you guys post pictures of your grants or point me in the direction to one? I am trying to gather ideas on how to make one and this message board really doesn't have any.

I am building a RIMS system and i'm almost complete. Just need to build a grant.

Thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
I have been searching the internet on grants and I cannot find anything. There is one thread on this board but it's not what I am looking for. Can you guys post pictures of your grants or point me in the direction to one? I am trying to gather ideas on how to make one and this message board really doesn't have any.

I am building a RIMS system and i'm almost complete. Just need to build a grant.

Thanks guys.
A grant can be as simple as an intermediate vessel which collects gravity drained wort flowing from the MT which in turn, is pumped or periodically dumped into the BK or circulated back to the MT while mashing. Some automate the grant with some type of liquid level sensors that control the flow to the BK. Obviously, you don't want the grant to overflow or to run dry. Running dry would cause the pump to lose prime as it sucked air. The challenge is that if you run the RIMS manually, you must babysit the flow rates into and out of the grant which can be extremely tedious. This gets even trickier if you are using gravity flow from an HLT for the sparge as the flow rate will drop as the water level in the HLT drops necessitating constant adjustments and if the grant is also not automated it becomes an intricate balancing act of which you will soon tire just as I did. My solution was to do away with the grant and instead use a vacuum gauge on the pump to monitor the suction applied to the false bottom. That proved to be a winning strategy with my direct fired RIMS.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
A grant can be as simple as an intermediate vessel which collects gravity drained wort flowing from the MT which in turn, is pumped or periodically dumped into the BK or circulated back to the MT while mashing. Some automate the grant with some type of liquid level sensors that control the flow to the BK. Obviously, you don't want the grant to overflow or to run dry. Running dry would cause the pump to lose prime as it sucked air. The challenge is that if you run the RIMS manually, you must babysit the flow rates into and out of the grant which can be extremely tedious. This gets even trickier if you are using gravity flow from an HLT for the sparge as the flow rate will drop as the water level in the HLT drops necessitating constant adjustments and if the grant is also not automated it becomes an intricate balancing act of which you will soon tire just as I did. My solution was to do away with the grant and instead use a vacuum gauge on the pump to monitor the suction applied to the false bottom. That proved to be a winning strategy with my direct fired RIMS.
Thanks for the response. Would you happen to have pictures of this setup and can you explain in detail on how it works. I may want to go down this road it I can work it into my system. Also, any detailed information on any of the parts you used like the vacuum gauge so if i do go this way, I can purchase one. thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

I like this design:

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/The-Liquid-Level-Doctor

Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
Thanks for the response. Would you happen to have pictures of this setup and can you explain in detail on how it works. I may want to go down this road it I can work it into my system. Also, any detailed information on any of the parts you used like the vacuum gauge so if i do go this way, I can purchase one. thanks.
I no longer use a grant, so I have no pictures to share, but the Captain's link above details an excellent design at a reasonable cost.

Regarding the vacuum gauge, I have it tee'd off of the suction side of the pump. The guages are available from Grainger or McMaster-Carr and even the cheapest ones work well. I think I only paid about $20 for the one I use. I like to pump the wort at a high flow rate during the mash on my direct fired RIMS. The problem with doing so is that the grain bed will slowly but surely compact and this will inhibit or stop the flow entirely. The gauge indicates how much suction is being applied to the MT outlet. Without a gauge you are flying blind. You would not need a gauge if you use a grant as the runoff would be by gravity alone.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 31

If you already have the pumps and are doing a RIMS, I'm not seeing what this adds to the process. What's the real benefit of using a grant?

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 03-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
What's the real benefit of using a grant?
I run a single tier system and just built a grant myself. My problem was balancing the output of the pump against the rate of drainage in my MLT. I imagine the same would be true for a RIMS system.

With a grant, I can see how fast my MLT is draining and keep a good head of liquid on the inlet side of the pump.

-Joe

Old 03-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Oh, my grant is just a stainless utensil holder from Walmart with a 1/2" NPT coupler soldered into the bottom. The MLT gravity drains into it.

-Joe

Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
If you already have the pumps and are doing a RIMS, I'm not seeing what this adds to the process. What's the real benefit of using a grant?
The purpose of a grant is to provide an air gap between the MT and the BK. IOW, it helps to prevent grain bed compaction and/or a stuck mash which can inhibit or stop the flow of wort. The runoff is by gravity flow only so the suction applied to the false bottom is minimal (might be a tiny bit due to the siphon effect of any hose attached to the outlet, but it won't normally be much at all).

Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I will not buy nor make one, I do not need it, enough with the gadgets - you guys are bleeding all my money on stuff.

BIAB here I come.

Quick Reply