Grain Mill Squeal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssspargur

Reaction score
I used my Captain Crush grain mill for the first time yesterday. Seemed to work fine except I noticed al high pitched squeal while operating it. I have seen some minor reference to this in non brewing related discussion. Surprisingly saying its common in grain mills. Does anyone here have this experience with their grain mill? Is it normal? Thanks a bunch for any info.

I can't think of any scenario where this would be considered normal. Maybe it needs to be oiled.

Is your mill mounted to a sturdy base? Many mills have robust end plates holding the bearings, but the side pieces connecting the end plates are marginal. This allows the end plates and bearings to become misaligned with the roller axes due to twisting action. This can cause binding, "funny" noises, and excessive wear. Mounting to a sturdy base plate can prevent the end plates from twisting relative to each other and the roller axes.

Brew on :mug:

if your is designed like my cereal killer the cams on each end of the adjustable roller are not adjusted evenly (The markings are usless on mine) then the roller gets cocked and is not parallel with the stationary roller... this causes the ends to bind or rub a bit on the sideplates and could be causing your squeak...

Many people dont seem understand how this all works and send the grain mills "back for repair" when they adjust then incorrectly and bind the adjustable roller... lots of posts about it.
some grain mills like mine use bearings... some just use bushings... bearings need oil (food grade)

Back