Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Grain mill questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
Brew-ta-sauraus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Grain mill questions

Looking to buy a grain mill. Narrowed down my choice to a Barley Crusher becasue it got good reviews from friends that ahev used it, and it was adjustable see info here - NORTHERN BREWER: Grain Mills.

I did a little digging and ended up finding a CrankAndStein Double Roller Mill - complete with hopper assembly and base plate for a little less $$$ see photo here - Complete 2A Grain Mill with hopper (no handle): www.kegkits.com

What does everyone think?? Barley Crusher or CrankandStein? Both have the hopper included. The hopper on the Crank seems a bit more heavy duty. Both are fully adjustable.

Crank come in with shipping at $145.66, Crusher comes in at $154.98 with shipping. I personally have not used either one, but again got good reviews on the crusher from a friend. Help me make up my mind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well, I've never used either, but I just purchased a Barley Crusher after reading all sorts of reviews and advice, mostly here on HBT. I like that it is a complete setup (minus bucket, which I have) gets good reviews, and is reasonably priced. Bought it direct from barleycrusher.com.

Just my two cents.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd give my endorsement to the Barley Crusher, but i'v never used the crankandstein. I have,however,been crushing hundreds of pounds of grain a week for the past 6 months with a Barley Crusher and have not had one problem with it.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #4
sundowner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've used the barleycrusher for years, but you can't go wrong with either one of those mills.

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4281 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 828

In December, I bought the barley crusher with 7# hopper, and I really like it. It was about $125, plus shipping (NB has flat rate shipping, so I bought a ton of other stuff at the same time) and it's worked great for me so far. I haven't tried the crankandstein, though.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Read this thread before buying from Kegkits. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/kegk...-runner-68340/

Gary

Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
tipicreeper
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good catch Gary

Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

here's a barley crusher for $132.00, shipped.

Compared to taking a runner from Tom at kegkits, I'd bet Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse would have it to you in less than a week. Plus, Ed is a known figure on these boards with a quality reputation.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
dr_finklestein
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
here's a barley crusher for $132.00, shipped.

Compared to taking a runner from Tom at kegkits, I'd bet Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse would have it to you in less than a week. Plus, Ed is a known figure on these boards with a quality reputation.
Ordered mine from Brewmaster's on Friday and it will be here tomorrow!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-ta-sauraus View Post
Looking to buy a grain mill. Narrowed down my choice to a Barley Crusher becasue it got good reviews from friends that ahev used it, and it was adjustable see info here - NORTHERN BREWER: Grain Mills.

I did a little digging and ended up finding a CrankAndStein Double Roller Mill - complete with hopper assembly and base plate for a little less $$$ see photo here - Complete 2A Grain Mill with hopper (no handle): www.kegkits.com

What does everyone think?? Barley Crusher or CrankandStein? Both have the hopper included. The hopper on the Crank seems a bit more heavy duty. Both are fully adjustable.

Crank come in with shipping at $145.66, Crusher comes in at $154.98 with shipping. I personally have not used either one, but again got good reviews on the crusher from a friend. Help me make up my mind.
Don't get all sold on a unit because it has a hopper, save your money and make your own plus use that saved money on the upgrade mill itself it's the most important piece of equipment in this investment.
I went the other way and purchased a Monster Mill MM3-2.0, larger 2" rollers by 6" long with three rollers. Some bad blood between the Monster Mill and the birth of the CrankenStien unit, well the same but one I see is available and the other not in the past when I was looking for a mill. Granted it will need a tuneup to operate correctly and have a longer life span with this 3roller model mill. JMO's. after seeing many HBS that had discontinued had me worried over the other identical brand delivered 3 days later including a 1/2" input shaft without flats special ordered. Questions answered from the manufacture within two hours many times. Customer service says a lot about a product. I'm not motorized yet due to medical reasons but will not be disappointed when i'm ready that I can see.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 06-03-2009 at 03:27 AM.

Quick Reply