Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Grain Mill - Is corona mill same as meat grinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
aeonderdonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Grain Mill - Is corona mill same as meat grinder?

Been looking online for a corona mill and a bunch of people on my local craigslist are selling incredibly similar looking meat grinders.

Does the corona grill have some different bit/attachment? Anyone use a retrofitted meat grinder?

Old 06-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is the corona just the best one or will any grain mill do such as this one: HAND CRANK TABLE CORN GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR GRINDER MILL - eBay (item 260400540450 end time Jun-25-09 15:06:22 PDT)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Meat grinders work on a different principle from grain mills. They wouldn't be suitable for crushing grain.

Yes, the mill you linked to on Ebay looks fine.

-Joe

Old 06-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 360 Posts

discount tommy is waaay cheaper...I think most come from a crude third world factory anyway?

NEW Premium Cast Iron Corn Grinder Wheat Grain Nut Mill - eBay (item 220435684030 end time Jun-25-09 16:00:24 PDT)

You don't want a meat grinder IMO.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
discount tommy is waaay cheaper...I think most come from a crude third world factory anyway?

NEW Premium Cast Iron Corn Grinder Wheat Grain Nut Mill - eBay (item 220435684030 end time Jun-25-09 16:00:24 PDT)

You don't want a meat grinder IMO.
Is there a difference in quality or durability between this mill and a corona? It seems to be the most popular hand crank mill on HBT.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

'Corona' is mostly used a catch-all name (like kleenex). 'Corona-style' would be more appropriate. My mill for example is a corona-style made by Porkert.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 06-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul View Post
'Corona' is mostly used a catch-all name (like kleenex). 'Corona-style' would be more appropriate. My mill for example is a corona-style made by Porkert.
Ahhhh. So it's likely that quality would be pretty standard for any brand of mill. Any particularly bad one?

Old 06-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonderdonk View Post
Is there a difference in quality or durability between this mill and a corona?
Good question, I'm not sure if the "authentic" Corona or Porkert mills are higher quality, or are still even being manufactured. Most of what is currently available i would guess is made in China. The manufacturing is crude, but is usually tolerable. As far as durability, these things are cast iron and are almost indestructible.

If you were to find a "higher" quality corona style mill. The price might likely approach a good portion of a roller mill. Spending "real" money for these things doesn't make much sense to me. YMMV

IMO they are the best approach for milling on a budget, and do a fine job if you have the mechanical aptitude to adjust for a good crush. If this doesn't interest you, you should look at a roller mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonderdonk View Post
Ahhhh. So it's likely that quality would be pretty standard for any brand of mill. Any particularly bad one?
Quality is not really a term that is suitable for these mills, IME it's almost nonexistent...They are crude, heavy, and strong...that being said, IMO they are all "bad", but can be adjusted to do a "good" job.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 06-19-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
aeonderdonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Quality is not really a term that is suitable for these mills, IME it's almost nonexistent...They are crude, heavy, and strong...that being said, IMO they are all "bad", but can be adjusted to do a "good" job.
I am just starting out with AG and want to get some bulk grains. Not ready to make the $100+ investment for a roller mill so will likely start out with a hand crank corona style.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If no one's explained it clear enough, this is a meat grinder...

Note the front plate, there are holes in it which the auger will drive the meat through, producing ground meat which you know what that looks like.

Here is the front of a corona style grain MILL..

Under that cover, rather than a die with holes to press meat through, there is actually a grinding plate.

It matches grooves cut in the front mouth of the mill body....together those are what crushes the grain.....

Now that doesn't mean someone with great DIY skills couldn't perhaps modify a meat grinder by somehow putting a grinding plate on in place of the die.....the auger is exactly the same.

In fact I found at a garage sale for 5 bucks a "combo mill" which looks to be able to grind meat and grain somewhat....

That has this strange spider leg doohicky in front of the meet die, that sort of blocks partially stuff coming through the die, and in effect the auger and die will shred the grain...but not too well....

I haven't tried with a full batch, all I did was take a few ounces of grain, ran it through the mill, then mashed it in a mason jar to see if I got conversion....iirc, it wasn't that great...I was going to experiment some more, but I got a real corona shortly after...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply