Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
THEDIETZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default grain mill

I don't have the money for a grain mill and I am new to this so I don't yet have a need for one. I was told I could just put the grain in a baggie and use a rolling pin to crack them up. Is this the best method without a mill. Can you guys share other methods with me? THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
jeff967
Recipes 

My 1st all grain batch, used a wine bottle and a cookie sheet, no baggie. and had good results on the batch. so I will say that it can be done, but the 10lbs of grain took a damm long time to do. and will encourage you to get a mill soon.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would recommend getting it crushed wherever you are buying the grain. It will be much quicker and will most likely be more even.

I usually have 20+ pound grain bills and that takes long enough with a mill, I can't imagine crushing grain for an all grain batch with a rolling pin.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Spine
Recipes 

I wouldn't manually crush any more than 2-3lbs of grain.

I did this same thing last weekend. My 2-row was already crushed but I didn't get my vienna or crystal crushed because I need it to last longer so I had to crush 2.5lbs by hand.

For me I found that using a rubber mallet did a good job of crushing the grain but you need to make sure there isn't a lot in the bag (maybe 1/4-1/2lb) at a time or else it wont be very even. Secondly, you will more than likely rip the bag in a couple of places with the sharp hulls and this can cause quite a mess.

I also tried to use our pasta maker which has adjustable stainless rolls to crush the grain and it didn't pull any grain through the wheels because the rollers weren't knurled.

Manually crushing by hand sucked so bad, the first thing I did when I got to work on monday was to order a barleycrusher!

p.s. I still got 81% conversion efficiency even with the hammer method so it does work in a pinch!

Quick Reply