The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Gotta Get Gadget: Remote Temperature Probe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester4176
So if liquid getting into the actual probe is causing the false readings....then what about sealing the end of the probe with silicone? Seems to me that if you smear silicone around the area where the probe meets the wire, then liquid wouldn't get in there. I'll try on the new one I bough last night and see.
They make subersible probe thermometers...that's probably a better solution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My solution is to run the whole thing through some silicone air tubing from the pet shop. You leave the last few inches of the probe sticking out for an accurate reading, but the part that bends and the whole braid/wire part can be inside the silicone tubing. You just need a way to clamp it to the probe to seal it. Maybe some 100% silicone caulk would "glue" it. You can also use a piece of stainless lock wire as a twisty tie style clamp.

Silicone tubing is high temp rated. I wouldn't hesitate to dangle it into a boiling kettle.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought one of these at Target on Sunday. Worked great on Sunday but while measuring the mash temp yesterday it went from 149 to 213 and now it says it's 156 degrees outside on my deck. It has about a 2 inch long silicone-looking cover over the end of the metal cord that plugs into the "wand" at the end. I'm going to return it rather than try the oven thing, I can't trust it anymore.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Quick Reply