Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Got to test out the Tower of Power last night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
mpcluever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Got to test out the Tower of Power last night

A friend and I both work for a home brew shop and we got a Tower of Power in and were told to test it out. Can't post pics yet because we're not sure what Blichmann wants with that, but I can tell you it's pretty sweet. Installed into the burner in all of about 15 minutes. The sparker is very effective at lighting the burner and the propane valve worked like a charm. Seemed like a bit of a delay to kill the burner as I warmed the probe in my hand, but it WAS a wild temperature swing and it did kill the burner within 10 seconds after hitting the target. Other than that, it hit temps perfectly and was able to relight the burner as needed.

Overall, it is a very good temperature automation system that's very easy to integrate into pretty much any system. I don't believe they've set retail pricing yet, but it will be expensive. Much more than the Arduino system I'm working on.

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
mpcluever
Recipes 

OK one pic probably won't hurt.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you get a chance to test out the plumbing part? I'm definitely interested in using the control with the pump for recirculation during mashing.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
mpcluever
Recipes 

Well it looks like it's just a switched outlet on the back of the box. The propane valve just has a standard plug that when powered, it's open. You could certainly just plug a pump into it and it would turn the pump on and off to maintain a mash temp.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
mpcluever
Recipes 

I'm not sure that the ability to set the temp to the tenth of a degree is necessary as it's 10 button presses for 1 degree, but you can hold it and it starts going faster.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My understanding from the tower-of-power demo Blichmann did last summer (https://fhsteinbart.wordpress.com/20...-2011-day-one/) was it was meant to provide automated RIMS, they included the two controllers (what you have pictured) and a dedicated set of valves. Customer supplies the pump.

Look at the picture on the blichmann page:

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...r_plumbing.jpg

Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
mpcluever
Recipes 

I should say that we didn't get the actual "Tower" part of the Tower of Power... so I guess we're just playing with Power.

The control box is clearly the brains of this whole thing. Not sure how my friend plans to mount/use the control box.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

They showed it on the utility shelf on the Top Tier, but if folks already have their own stand, that'll be a plumbing challenge since you need access to the controller for control. Definitely would be interesting to see what non-Top Tier integration looks like.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
mpcluever
Recipes 

We are putting this on my friend's brewery which is NOT a Top Tier. The only installation is wires going to the gas solenoid and a wire to the sparker for ignition. Also the temp probe that can just screw into a stainless T before a ball valve. As far as automating a pump and all that, you'll probably already have a pump mounted and this control box will automate whatever is plugged into it. The tower stand they show is cool and if you had no other way to mount it, it would work well, however you could certainly come up with your own mounting solution for that control box.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I'd sure like to hear what the pricing is like. I have been looking at this since NHC last year, but we're approaching a year later and still no official release...

Quick Reply