Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Got a march pump, where to best use it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
stageseven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Got a march pump, where to best use it?

My parents got me a March 809-PL-HS for Christmas, and I'm trying to figure out where to best use it in my system. Currently I do all-grain with batch sparges. I'm thinking I could start fly-sparging (my efficiency has been in the low-mid 60s lately) or set up a basic HERMS. I'm not really sure what other options there would be.

My equipment currently is as follows:
10 gallon round cooler with false bottom
7 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot
5 gallon canning pot
50 foot copper wort chiller
cheap heat stick (one of these http://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-Premier-742G-Bucket-Heater/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356717379&sr=8-1&keywords=bucket+heater)
temperature controller with 2 outlets (currently used for heat stick)

The last few batches I've been using my heat stick to maintain my mash temperature. I tried doing a stepped mash last batch, but it took forever between steps. I'm thinking I could keep the heat stick in a pot and pump the hot (boiling) water through the wort chiller with the temperature controller probe in the mash controlling the pump on/off. Alternately I could just get a sparge arm and start fly sparging. If I got some quick disconnects, could I do both? Any other uses I should be looking at? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Monster Mash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have 2 pumps because with 25 gallons I have to move a lot of liquid, some people have no use for one at all. Everybody's system is different so it's up to you how to get the most use out of a pump. one of the best uses though is for recirculation to set the grain bed and clear the wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply