Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Got a keg, riddled with guilt...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
nebben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Got a keg, riddled with guilt...

Well, not really riddled with guilt, but I've had ups and downs as it's been sitting in the garage.

I've got a Guinness keg that I got from a local classified ad website. The guy claimed that his buddy owns a bar and that it was legit. I didn't know any better and "purchased" the keg. After speaking with my LHBS, he was very adamant about making sure I knew that this keg was without a doubt the property of Guinness or its distributor. By even having it in my garage, I'm in possession of stolen property (according to LHBS). To add another element to it, I live in a state where people cannot purchase kegs of beer (only bars and taverns can have these- kegs are outlawed for end-user consumption).

Sooo...even if I were to try to give this keg back, I'm not sure of what course of action I could take since there aren't any avenues for people (and not businesses) to return these things for a return of deposit. Even then, I have no receipt or evidence of where it came from except that it is indeed a Guinness keg. The thought of driving out of state isn't appealing to me, especially if it is uncertain if a liquor store would even offer me any deposit back.

I wouldn't mind just using a plasma torch and cutting a hole in the top and making it a brew kettle, but my LHBS proprietor's scolding remarks about stolen property echo in my head. What do y'all think about this? From what I've read, these kegs don't ever legally make it into the hands of the public as fully intact units...only as scrap sold from the Keg shredder. If I'm sweating this too much, does anyone have any insight as to where I could get a completely legal keg (online?)?

Other than that, just to throw in something completely different, what about turning it into a fermenter? I'm thinking I like the corny keg lid better than the sanke valve on top, especially since it allows for easy cleaning of the keg and still allows pressure. Thoughts on this too?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

you got it keep it..next time get a legit one. and the LHBS would love to sale you one for alot more cash..

Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Guy said it was legit, just go with it. LHBS owner sells brewpots doesn't he? Hmmm conflict of interest?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It really is a gray area morally. No one is going to knock on your door and demand their keg back. If you go to any lengths to "return" the keg to the rightful owner you most likely will find that no one will take it from you.

If it really bothers you then call the local distributor and explain to them you have a keg and what they would advise. I'm willing to be they will say they don't want it.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You asked and the seller said it was cool. You are golden.

Tell your LHBS guy to get stuffed. I'd say he's a jaggoff for laying a guilt trip on you.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, if you're really worried, just stick with the "I didn't know" story. It was true at the time you bought it. At any rate, good job grabbing a keg. I'm still trying to find one that doesn't cost me my life's savings.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

WillPall, where do you live? I may have an extra one laying around.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Time to fire up the plasma torch.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
WillPall, where do you live? I may have an extra one laying around.
I live in Auburn, Al. A little far for a quick drive I think. Thanks for the offer though. Maybe I'll luck up on one that somebody didn't turn in after a party.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

I've said it before, but stolen property is stolen property. If my son-in-law steals a car, and then gives it to me, it's still stolen property even if I didn't steal it myself. If someone pays the deposit on a keg, it's not THEIR keg. They simply don't get their deposit back if it's not returned. The deposits on kegs don't cover the actual cost of the keg. That doesn't give them the right to "sell" it for the deposit.

Deposits are rising, since some people have taken to keeping kegs and/or turning them in for the scrap value. Having something that isn't sold properly isn't right. Stolen is stolen, no matter how you slice it. The keg belongs to the brewery. Unless THEY sold it to you, or their distributor, it's a stolen keg.

If this doesn't bother you, fine, but let's not talk about it on the forum. If it does bother you, then do something about it but let's not talk about it on the forum.

Quick Reply