New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is it good to use any household bleach for sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
CaptainCool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it good to use any household bleach for sanitizing

I know many people use bleach to sanitize equipment and i guess i'm sortof a Brew-Noob so i'm just makin sure any bleach is fine.. I've got a bottle of clorox bleach at my house. Is that good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Clorox bleach is fine. Any plain household bleach is fine.

While bleach is cheap, effective, and usually always on hand, there are some disadvantages to using it as a sanitizer. For one, it will pit and weaken stainless steel (any metal) that is subjected to frequent lengthy contact. It requires a contact time of 20 minutes to be effective in sanitizing. It must be rinsed off thoroughly, which wastes water and may re-introduce undesirable bacteria. It stinks. It's slimy.

Iodophor and Star San are both excellent sanitizers. I prefer Iodophor, which is based on iodine, because it is also quite cheap and easy to use and doesn't produce any foam like the more expensive Star San.

See John Palmer's How to Brew chapter 2.2.3

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 10-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a pretty good cleanser, but lousy as a sanitizer. Don't get me wrong... bleach will kill almost anything, especially when acidified, but it has to be rinsed so thoroughly that you will potentially re-contaminate the surface you're sanitizing unless you're rinsing with a sanitizing solution (which you could have used instead of bleach in the first place).

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
studmonk3y
Recipes 

I use starsan myself. But the maker of starsan talked about a homemade bleach based no rinse sanitizer. Others here have tried it with success.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Homemade_No_Rinse_Sanitizer

Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
jonalexdeval
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't use bleach except on occasional cleaning jobs if at all. It's just too much of a pain to have to worry about when using. Get a big tub of carbonate based cleaner (PBW) and some iodophor. You shouldn't even need bleach.

Anything that's not no-rinse is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Quick Reply