Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Good start up Brewing Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
jc03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Good start up Brewing Kit?

I love to drink beer but haven't brewed it. I'd like to start. Can anyone recommend a good kit to get going that I wouldn't outgrow if I get deeper into the hobby?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
sptaylor70
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Brewer's Best has a good equipment kit. As for never outgrowing it - Everyone eventually adds to or replaces parts of or all of their kit.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

All the beginner kits are pretty much the same. It's the kettle(s) and other equipment that get bigger and better.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Shenanigan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am new too, so take this with a grain of salt, but I got Northern Brewer's essential starter kit because it came with an autosiphon and a beer ingredient kit for 70 bucks. Their deluxe brewing kit is nice, but you probably don't need a secondary right away at least. If you get the deluxe, glass carboys will last forever, you just have to be extremely careful moving full carboys and cleaning them. There are many horror stories of them shattering.

I would (and did) spend that money building a wort chiller and getting a second primary. If you like brewing you're going to want to have more than one beer going at a time. As you go along you can pick up a hydrometer and other smaller things that aren't absolutely essential when brewing extract (your beer's OG should be pretty spot on with the kit's). It would be good to have a quality thermometer though, and another great upgrade would be a dorm fridge with a temp controller for your fermentation.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bulk aging:Mango Wine
Bottled: Caribou Slobber (7/14), American Honey Orange Wheat (7/15), AHS Budget IPA, EdWorts Hause Pale ale, Irish Stout, my Haus Pale Ale, Apfelwein

Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
IPAndy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Definitely agree w/Brewer's Best. I've been using a bunch of their equipment for the last few months, and just recently purchased another fermenter (adding to my collection) to continue with more batches.

Of note: I was fortunate enough to have a laser thermometer in my toolbox downstairs, and I've been using that instead of the provided glass thermometer. I've been at several homebrew stores that do the same thing and use the laser instead. If you can ever get your hands on that, it's very accurate and, best of all, requires no sanitizing.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

I'm actually not a fan of the brewer's best stuff, but it's all personal preference. If you want a kit you won't outgrow, start on extract and get Northern Brewer's Deluxe kit, and add a hydrometer and a test vial. It even comes with your first extract recipe kit. You really can't go wrong. If you want to move up to all-grain quickly, get a big pot 8-10gal, and a big mesh bag for BIAB to test the waters.

Kit linked here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...arter-kit.html

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Leons_Bad_Side
Recipes 

Has anyone tried the Monster Brew kits? Trying to get started home brewing and looking at kits now. Want to get something that can grow but also something that will be good to learn and get started with.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

The equipment looks okay but the ingredients that come with the recipe kit aren't great. A cheaper kit from a more prominent supplier would be a better deal. Check out the offerings from Austin Homebrew and Midwest Supplies as well. My money's still on the Northern Brewer kit though.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

There is no kit that won't need upgrades eventually. My general recommendations are: get a big pot, I use a 15 gallon keg for 5 gallon batches (no boil over) and can make 10 gallons work.
Get a propane burner, it saves a ton of time. A turkey fryer works good for both a pot and burner.
Plastic buckets are great fermentation vessels, just accept they need to be replaced every year or too. Oh and don't bother with secondaries for a while.
Good luck and welcome.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Leons_Bad_Side
Recipes 

Just getting started so I'm just getting the parts together right now. Already have a fryer/burner. Plan on making my own immersion chiller.

If you didn't want cheese grits, why did you order the fried mullet?

Quick Reply