Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is this a good deal on Kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
jeepbrew523
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Talked to them. Sold 1000 kegs right after first email this morning. Sold out. Even though only 4 per person, many people buying 4 per family member. Ha.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
WalleyeGuy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They just sent another email, replacing the offer with Pin Locked kegs. The pin locked kegs are regularly $39.99, so i guess i saved some money. The important thing is I am on my way to kegging.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalleyeGuy View Post
They just sent another email, replacing the offer with Pin Locked kegs. The pin locked kegs are regularly $39.99, so i guess i saved some money. The important thing is I am on my way to kegging.
Issue I see with getting pin lock kegs is either you'll have two QD types (needing to change them if the kicked keg was the other) or you need to spend more to convert the pin lock keg over to a ball lock keg. Personally, I'd rather have just one type of QD to work with.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I bit on the 50% off pin lock kegs and ordered four. Came out to just under $25/each shipped, which seems like a pretty good price even though people seem to prefer the ball locks (commenters on the MidWest site seem to report that these pin lock kegs do have a manual pressure release, though that's not advertised by MidWest so presumably not guaranteed on all kegs).

Not sure I'm quite ready to switch over to kegging yet but the kegs don't seem to be getting any cheaper so I thought I'd grab a few now. If nothing else, from looking on Craigslist in my area I could probably resell them for $25 or more and cover my costs if I decide I don't want them.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
mrstevenund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They sold out of the ball locks while I was filling out the information on the site Oh well, with the swivels on the QD's it's easy to swap back and forth. I just couldn't pass up the offer, even if they are pin-locks I got on my way.

Quick Reply