Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Going crazy trying to solder copper tubing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Wankel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Going crazy trying to solder copper tubing

I am trying to join two twenty-five lengths of 3/8" od soft refrigeration tubing to make an immersion wort chiller and am not having much luck.

I clean the ends of the tubing with emery cloth until shiny, ditto the inside of the coupler, apply flux to all surfaces to be joined, wipe excess flux, torch the coupling with a propane torch for about 30 seconds until I get a green flame coming from the other side of the coupling but when I apply solder, it beads and does not run into the joint.

I have gone through six couplers and twelve bum joints and know my limits. Before I take the pieces of tubing to a plumber, are there any other ways of joining tubing to make a leak proof fitting? The only alternative I can think of is a compression fitting which I'm not convinced would be leakproof over time. Plus it has nooks and crannies which might make the joint hard to clean.

Or should I forget about joining tubing to make a wort chiller and just bite the bullet for a 50 foot coil? Even with a good brazed joint, there might still be some twisting on the joint as the cooler is moved.

Thanks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had this problem when I first started to solder. I then applied enough flux to protrude outside the joint. (Maybe 1/8".) Heat up the section and hit the exposed flux with the solder and the solder will get pulled into the joint.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 100

your not getting the copper hot enough. Leave the flame on the copper until it flows, then pull the flame away

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
your not getting the copper hot enough. Leave the flame on the copper until it flows, then pull the flame away
No he's getting it to hot and burning all the flux out. Get the joint hot (not burning grean though) and with the heat still on one side put the solder to the top of the joint (have the flame on the side of the joint) as the solder melts the flux will pull it into the joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
somecallmetim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
No he's getting it to hot and burning all the flux out. Get the joint hot (not burning grean though) and with the heat still on one side put the solder to the top of the joint (have the flame on the side of the joint) as the solder melts the flux will pull it into the joint.
Yep. When I was first learning to sweat joints I'd overheat them too, drove me nuts. Try it again, you can do it.

On Tap - Haus Ale, Baltic Porter.
Fermenting- SNPA Clone, Half Wit

Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
cantari
Recipes 

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Your way too hot, just after the flux starts to boil with heat applied to the coupling you should start to apply solder at the joint. When it starts to melt it will draw in the solder at that same time remove the heat and reapply heat in short couple seconds at a time at the most. By now you will have a partical drop of solder on the bottom of the joint, a damp rag wipe on the joint to remove this hanging drop for a professonal clean and sound solid looking joint while the solder is still fluid.
In your case you'll have to sand the copper and coupling copper bright again to remove all that oxidized copper coating before adding a small smear of flux on the tube and inside the coupling.
We are talking about soft soldering here not silver soldering correct?

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #8
Wankel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
We are talking about soft soldering here not silver soldering correct?
Right... Lennox solder made of tin, copper, selenium

The thing is, I keep running out of couplers as I screw them up. The tubing isn't so hard to clean once I screw up a joint but its a bear cleaning the inside of the couplers. Wrapping the emery cloth around tweezers helps...

Could the flux be boiling/burning away from too much heat?

Last edited by Wankel; 01-04-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #9
polecreek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a acetylene torch that gets a joint to hot in no time. I was soldering a 2" tee and had cleaned and fluxed all joints. While soldering one side I boiled the flux out the other and could not sweat that side at all. When I tried to pull the joint apart I couldnt, probably oval pipe to start. Solution was to heat the joint and keep applying flux to it, the flux boiles as soon as touching the pipe, but eventually sucked in enough solder that I made a good joint. Instead of emery cloth and tweezers you might consider a brush made for cleaning inside of fittings, there cheap.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 950 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Try to apply the heat a little further away from the joint for a short time before hitting the fitting. You certainly don't want to hit the flux with the flame, it will just burn off. The other thing is, you probably have some halfass water soluable flux which seems to be the norm at the home centers. I hate that stuff and have a lot better luck with acid paste.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply