Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Glass top Stove and Non Flat Pot bottom- help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
WCrane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Glass top Stove and Non Flat Pot bottom- help

I have an el cheapo SS 5g pot (for 2.5g batches). I'm in the midst of testing my equipment and noticed that I couldn't get 3.5-4 gallons over 205 F unless to lid was on. So I did what other have done before me and built a jacket for the pot. It helped speed up the time.

Then I notice the bottom of the pot is not perfectly flat. From the edge of the pot to the center (6") there is about a 1/8-1/4" difference. I can push and flex it flat. Even with 4 g's of water it still doesn't sit perfectly flat.

Any recommendation of how to flatten it out. I'm going to try placing weight in the bottom and hitting it with a sledge (with the help of a 2x4). Any other thoughts?

unfortunately with the stove i have and where I live I can't go bigger or go outside.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think I'd try to flatten the kettle, you'll probably just make it even more uneven on the bottom. Unfortunately your only option is to get a flat bottom kettle if you can't go outside. Or make a heatstick.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
WCrane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I was thinking about a heatstick, but figured I would at least attempt to adjust the pot first.

I think the whole electricity and water thing is going to cause my SWMBO to got nuts as she is a nurse and already gives a bit a gruff about my new hobby.

I also have to check my reciptiacle in the kitchen I think they are only 15A but non are GFCI, leaving me to replace the outlet or build a remote one.

If I did go with a heatstick I'm limited to 120v with no access to a 240v. Would a 1500w or 2000w be enough to boil 4ish gallons? If so I could brew in the basement soley with a heatstick and eventually make a small electric system.

Last edited by WCrane; 06-29-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have pounded out rounded bottoms in pots. They are usually caused by over heating the pot. Like when Wifey leaves it on the stove and boils it dry!

Anyway, if you need to replace the pot anyway, you can always try pounding it first, if you ruin, so what?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2126 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

A heatstick AND the stove would probably be fine. I doubt a single 120V element would heat a full boil.

Do you have the luxury of being able to brew outside?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
WCrane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Do you have the luxury of being able to brew outside?
No not yet, while I live in a townhouse w/ a walkout basement which would be a great spot. I had to make a few concession with SWMBO. Once i win her over and prove it ain't all that bad then possibly in the future I will will get into a bit bigger and more powerful set-up, but for now i'm limited.

I guess a 1500W element would be a nice booster. I still have to cehck the outlets in the kitchen. But if a 2000W would be able to boil 3-4 gals (for a 2.5 gal batch) I could avoid the kitchen and the SWMBO altogether and stay in the basement. I do have a 20A GFCI outlet next to my breaker box in the basement So I could run atleast 1 2000W, Or get an electrician in to hook up a 240v down there, but that's xtra $$ that i feel is unnessecary at the moment.

I'm still searching and searching all the possible threads. I want to get all my eggs in a basket and test run everythinig but getting into a brew and having that oh sh** moment.

thanks for the input so far fellas

Last edited by WCrane; 06-29-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I won't even attempt to pretend I know anything about electricity, so I'll defer to someone else. Though I feel your pain with glass stovetops.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
WCrane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
I won't even attempt to pretend I know anything about electricity, so I'll defer to someone else. Though I feel your pain with glass stovetops.
Thanks, If it wasn't for the slight curve on the bottom I think I could get 4 gals to boil.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

if your breaker box is in the basement you could do 2 separate 120v lines with 2 heat sticks instead of 1 240v. as long as the 2 x 120v heatsticks are on separate lines with sufficient wiring you should be fine.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
WCrane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

After the idea posts and searching the forum all day (w/o getting busted by the boss)

I think my game plan (after seeing if i can flatten my cheap-ass pot) will be a single 2000W heat stick that will plug into the GFCI outlet next to my break box (which I beleive is 20A-will check tonight). My breaker box is in my work room (small unfinished area of the basement). This way i'm out of the kitchen and in the basement, where i'll be fermenting and storing the equipment anyways. Since i'll be shooting for 2.5 g-ish batches this space and set-up should suit my needs until the need to upgrade

Once I get this project moving I'll post my progress.
Thanks for the help fellas

Last edited by WCrane; 06-29-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply