The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Glass and temperature change.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Glass and temperature change.

I know it's something we all know about and never do but just to remind you.
If glass is hot then do not use cool water on it.

I just took a glass from the dish washer and wanted to use it. I rinsed it in cool water and crack.......

Stupid but there you go. I don't want that happening to a $50 carboy even worse if it's got wort in it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
I know it's something we all know about and never do but just to remind you.
If glass is hot then do not use cool water on it.

I just took a glass from the dish washer and wanted to use it. I rinsed it in cool water and crack.......

Stupid but there you go. I don't want that happening to a $50 carboy even worse if it's got wort in it.

And how! Thermal shock and impact are the two killers. I am convinced with the cheap type of glass that most carboys are made that a little bump into something hard is enough to create microscopic stress cracks that appear once subjected to pressure. Thermal shock is probably worse and gathered from that one thread a while back, I'd say almost all of the folks that had one break had either shocked their carboy thermally or via impact.

Good reminder orfy, especially as temps are very cold in many of the members hometowns.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My glass thermometer casing broke in the mash tun last weekend. My LHBS owner says I must have dropped it. But I placed it into a plastic cup when it was out of the Mash tun which is also plastic, NO glass in there. I'm convinced it was the temp difference and feel like it should not have broke. I could not believe how thin the glass was. I have a candy/fryer themometer also and the glass on it is at least twice as thick. If I can find out who made the thing I'll post it so others won't make the same mistake.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I was about 8 years old when I decided to make a pitcher of tea, in a glass pitcher, with boiling water. Glass is weird stuff. You can bang it around and then one day, you pick your pint up and the bottom falls out!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply