Originally Posted by orfy
I know it's something we all know about and never do but just to remind you.
If glass is hot then do not use cool water on it.
I just took a glass from the dish washer and wanted to use it. I rinsed it in cool water and crack.......
Stupid but there you go. I don't want that happening to a $50 carboy even worse if it's got wort in it.
And how! Thermal shock and impact are the two killers. I am convinced with the cheap type of glass that most carboys are made that a little bump into something hard is enough to create microscopic stress cracks that appear once subjected to pressure. Thermal shock is probably worse and gathered from that one thread a while back, I'd say almost all of the folks that had one break had either shocked their carboy thermally or via impact.
Good reminder orfy, especially as temps are very cold in many of the members hometowns.