Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Glass Door or Stainless Steel Door Refrigerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
damian07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Glass Door or Stainless Steel Door Refrigerator?

hi all..... im thinking of buying a big refrigerator (2-3 door, 50-70cu ft)

the use of this refrigerator would be for fermentation and aging/storing beer, it would be temperature controlled by a ranco controller.

The question is, should I get glass door refrigerator to see fermentation activity and i guess its also pleasant to look at whats inside without having to open it.

or, plain stainless steel doors and get better insulation from the doors and have the refrigerator's compressor turn on for less time and prevent any light from going into the fridge and potentially damaging beer in glass carboys ...

anybody have refrigerators this big that can provide feedback....pro's/cons ?

thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian07 View Post

or, plain stainless steel doors and get better insulation from the doors and have the refrigerator's compressor turn on for less time and prevent any light from going into the fridge and potentially damaging beer in glass carboys ...

thanks!!!
That sounds like a convincing argument for function over form in this instance. If you got glass doors, you'd have to cover the carboys, thus negating the point of the glass.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
dogtailale
Recipes 

That Idea was in my head for a while big fridge do it all in one. Got to thinking a little more about it. I think ill be going with 2or3 separate standard units. Reason why temp zones. I bought the beersmith program it BASICLY says ferm @ 68dg,,,age @ 52dg,,,,serve @ 42dg....

Quick Reply