Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Glass carboys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Cliff897
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Glass carboys

***********1. Enforce rules only against their foes (i.e., anyone who does not suck up to them) while exempting their friends from similar or worse behavior.

2. Silently boot someone and then proceed to trash talk the person as if the person was still there with an opportunity to respond.

3. Boot someone and then start a thread for the sole purpose of boasting about having removed the person, so as to bask in the praise of sychophantic members applauding the moderator's bold action.

4. If a person is being stalked or trolled, scold, warn and threaten both the victim and the perpetrator to stop it. If the victim protests, boot the victim for having defied the moderator's authority. Add injury to insult by allowing the troll or stalker to stay because the stalker or troll didn't talk back to the moderator.

5. If the moderator loses an argument to another member, selectively delete the member's comments so that the thread no longer makes any sense.

6. Selectively enforce the tribe's rules only against newcomers, newbies or people who are not friend with the moderator.

7. Speak about their actions as moderator in the passive voice, use the royal we, and otherwise take on a haughty, authoritarian tone. I mean, dude, you're just a moderator. ***************

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
BillyBroas
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How long is many years? I've had mine for almost 5 years and hope they never break after hearing some of the horror stories. There was one in Zymurgy recently about a guy who was carrying it while full to set it up for bottling. He bumped into something and it almost cut his hand off at the wrist, only hung on by tendons. They reattached it but I'm pretty sure he can't use a couple fingers.

I've had my fair share of "bumps" but luckily no breaks yet. I love the glass but will be buying PET in the future since it's just not worth the risk to me.

BillyBrew.com - Craft beer and homebrewing blog

Follow me on Twitter right here

Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I just got home to realize I forgot and left my carboy full and soaking in oxyclean outside since last Sat. It froze the other night, now a goner. I won't buy another glass one (not it's fault, mine) just to be on the safe side.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You are on to something there. Could be a market for such a basket.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I read those other horror stories before. Made me want to use better bottles instead of carboys. Now I'm thinking more about fermenting in kegs..

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 02-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

YIKES!

I hadn't thought about the possibility of a carboy just breaking?????

I have begun to carry my full carboy in a square plastic milk crate. The carboy fits inside with some room left over so I can easily grab onto the built in handles. It makes it much easier to carry and, hopefully, provides some protection to the carboy.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Lou1998
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Out of laziness, I use brew buckets for primary fermentation and a corny keg for secondary just cause they are easier to clean. My carboys just sit and collect dust.
However, I used to use them for primary fermentation and remember picking them up, full of wort, while they are wet and somewhat slippery from sanitizer and shaking them to aerate my wort. Probably not the smartest thing I have done and I am glad I didn't drop one.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you actually do build a box and fill with expanding foam, be very careful how much as it creates a lot of pressure that may breack the glass. In addition, the insulating effects may lead extra heat during fernetation.

+1 on the Chianti basket idea.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Here's a pic of mine, frozen and cracked.

Quick Reply