Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ghetto rigged lagering. Will this work

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm sure it is far from an ideal setup. I'll certainly give it a few days just to see how the temp goes, before actually trying to stick my fermentor in there.

Before I go through the trouble, there isn't a yeast that will ferment at 45F, is there?

That lightbulb idea sounds tempting as well. Hmmmm....it'll definitely be easier to try than my idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think the problem is that your fridge, when given power, will always try getting you to your set temp. If your max temp on the built in thermostat is 45, when your timer reapplies power, it's going to start working on dropping it to 45. If I understand your theory, if you time it just right, you'll only give it enough on time to get down to say 55dF. It will be tricky because your outside temp may not be consistent and any tendancy to rise or fall in temp will be somewhat additive so your actual temp may snowball out of your expected range.

I wonder what it would take to modify the temp range of a stock controller. Maybe it's a simple resistor value change? I have no idea what kind of circuits they're based on.

Bobby

Old 10-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really would look at the thermostat in the fridge. If you can alter it then you can maintain a more constant temp.

You just need to see which type of thermostat is there. If it is the mercury switch/coil type then tilting the thermostat a little to one side will give you a little more adjustment in the upper temp ranges

Old 10-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #14
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjones31
I really would look at the thermostat in the fridge. If you can alter it then you can maintain a more constant temp.

You just need to see which type of thermostat is there. If it is the mercury switch/coil type then tilting the thermostat a little to one side will give you a little more adjustment in the upper temp ranges
Not a bad idea at all. Thanks for the tip. Good thing weekend tinker time is nearly here.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #15
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh....make sure you empty the freezer if you have a fridge/freezer combo. Frozen stuff in the freezer will keep you from getting the temps in the fridge up.

Quick Reply