Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Getting a mill for Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Getting a mill for Christmas

So SWMBO is getting me a grain mill for Christmas. I can pretty much get what I want, within a budget of around $150-$200. As I've moved to AG brewing this year, I figured it made the most sense as my next purchase, so I can start getting my base grains in bulk and save some money.

I've been doing some research, and have gotten a lot of conflicting reports on different varieties. What I'm trying to come up with is a narrowed list of 2-3 options to pick from. Most of my beers use between 10-20 pounds of grain. I'm probably going to hand crank, which is fine for me, but I might like the option of hooking it up to a drill. Something which comes with a good size hopper is nice because I don't like having to constantly fill it up when I'm milling. Also, one that has the base built in or pre-attached, so I can just slap it on a bucket to mill into would be really helpful.

What are your thoughts on the best options out there? Thanks.

Primary 3 - Wax's California Common
Drinking - Way too many different beers to list...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Knightmare
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For the money I like the Barley Crusher. I use one and it works great!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare
For the money I like the Barley Crusher. I use one and it works great!
+1.
Mine has the smaller of the two hoppers, I think its the 7lbs one. I've never had the hopper size be a problem...makes it easier to store

The crank is removable for the drill. I've never used the hand crank...cordless drill works great.

Good luck!

Edit: it comes with a base and the rubber feet to secure it to the bucket.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
godrick
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I have a Barley Crusher and used to think that it was the cats meow. However, it's two years old now and has processed maybe 800 lbs of grain & it's pretty much worn out. The problem as I see it is that the rollers aren't hardened and the drive roller's knurls have been rounded and smoothed by use to the point that they don't grab the grain worth a damn anymore. The upshot is that I have to add the grain bit by bit or it just spins away without grinding the grain. I've cleaned & adjusted & lubed it repeatedly. I know that 800 lbs sounds like a lot of grain, but I thought that it would be the only mill I'd ever have to buy. Sadly, Not recommended.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Knightmare
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is a link for a good price and free shipping on the Barley Crusher with 15 lb hopper and base that fits on a bucket.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Barley-Crusher-Grain-Mill-15-lb-hopper_p_1607.html

Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrick
I have a Barley Crusher and used to think that it was the cats meow. However, it's two years old now and has processed maybe 800 lbs of grain & it's pretty much worn out. The problem as I see it is that the rollers aren't hardened and the drive roller's knurls have been rounded and smoothed by use to the point that they don't grab the grain worth a damn anymore. The upshot is that I have to add the grain bit by bit or it just spins away without grinding the grain. I've cleaned & adjusted & lubed it repeatedly. I know that 800 lbs sounds like a lot of grain, but I thought that it would be the only mill I'd ever have to buy. Sadly, Not recommended.
I wonder if they would ship you new rollers...certainly would be worth trying. Might even be free. It would be worth it to them just to keep the customer happy.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 397 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have had the Rebel Mill for a little under a year now and about 40 batches of milling between me and my brewbuddy, and it still works and looks like the day I bought it. I would HIGHLY recommend this mill!

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Rebel-Mill-Grain-Crusher.html

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I love my barley crusher but have only had it for a year (got it for xmas last year) So I cant attest to the durability of it

Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the info folks.

For those recommending the barley crusher, has anyone else experienced extreme wearing on it? I notice the website says it has a lifetime warranty. Has anyone had any dealings with them regarding use of that warranty or what it entails? Maybe if the rollers wear out they replace them? I have no clue, but would be interested to hear.

Has anyone used the Crankandstein and have advice on it? It's one that I've also been looking at.

Thanks!

Primary 3 - Wax's California Common
Drinking - Way too many different beers to list...

Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To throw in another option, I love my two-roller Monster Mill--the MM2--powered by a Harbor Freight low speed, high torque 1/2" drill for a relatively cheap motorized mill option. I've put about 400 lbs. through it with no signs of wear or slowing down of the drill.

Quick Reply