Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Galled Thread on HLT?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
zymurgist626
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Galled Thread on HLT?

After testing my new Stainless HERMS HLT, I noticed a leak coming from the compression fitting. After removing the compression nut, I decided to back out the whole fitting from the S/S coupling that was welded in.

It turned about 1/4 to 1/2 turn and instead of getting easier, it got tougher to remove.. Now I can move it back and forth about 1/8 turn, but no farther in either direction...

Is the thread galled or is there still a way to work this out? Since it still moves, it makes me think it isn't a traditional galling. I got the product from Stainless Steel Brewing... it is the compression x MPT SS fitting. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion to salvage the coupling and/or fitting.

As you can see, I did use teflon tap (about 3-4 wraps)... I've never experienced such a stuck thread as this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

how much torque have you applied in loosening it?

It will eventually come off.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
zymurgist626
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquenne View Post
how much torque have you applied in loosening it?

It will eventually come off.
As much force as I can put on a decent size craftman wrench. I haven't used any mechanical advantage yet... It doesn't make sense that it is this difficult.

Quick Reply