Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > FYI: Glass carboy prices are about to double!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #21
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I am sure that Better Bottle prices are going to go up but not because glass carboys went up and they see the opportunity to raise the price, like some are suggesting.

Think about it. With oil companies making record profits and gas prices that are going to hit $5.00 a gallon in some places, everything is going to go through the roof on price because a Better Bottle has to be shipped from the manufacturer (using a lot of overpriced gas) to Ohio. And then shipped to Texas (using a lot of overpriced gas). And then shipped via UPS to you (using a lot of overpriced gas).

And to put a cherry on the top of the oil companies profit, what do you think the Better Bottle is made from.....

(Petroleum byproducts)

And some people will think that the LHBS is gouging or that the Better Bottle company is taking advantage of the situation with glass carboys if the price goes up. I will tell you now that most homebrew stores are absorbing a large part of the price increases by increasing their prices but lowering their margin. I mean that if the cost of an item doubles, the homebrew stores are not keeping the same margin and they are not doubling the price as well. You see a price increase, but the homebrew stores are slowly losing their profits. So, please understand when your LHBS has to raise prices.

I am telling you this inside info, because no one else will. The owners are taking one for the team and they need your support. We all are waiting for the good shoe to drop so we can stop having to raise prices in order to stay in business.

Forrest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #22
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Forrest- another reason why I spend every last HB dime with you. See y'all sunday!

[I'm back!]

Old 05-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #23
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
We just got the word. The Carboy manufacturer in Mexico stopped production so the Italian Carboys are the only ones left. The glass carboys will soon be around $40-$50 each retail. Stock up now if you like glass carboys.
This is now just becoming news? Waterloo container has been saying this since mid Febuary.

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #24
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
This is now just becoming news? Waterloo container has been saying this since mid Febuary.
Who is Waterloo container and why didn't they tell everyone? J/K

Forrest

Old 05-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #25
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, I didn't hear it from this "Waterloo Container" so thanks for the heads-up Forrest. And yes, this is why all my HB money goes to you also.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #26
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hasta la vista carboys?

So I stopped by my local homebrew store (coincidentally named "My LHBS") in Falls Church, VA, and as I was checking out, the owner mentioned that if I wanted to buy a carboy, I should do so now because the factory in Mexico that manufactures them has gone out of business and his prices are already up 60%, but he was going to raise them even higher in a couple weeks (he said up to $90 for 5 gallon one!). He currently has no more 6.5 gal or 3 gal carboys and forever and always will have no more.
Has anyone else heard of this situation? Sounds like the company that makes the Better Bottle will be getting a ton more business. There is only one other place in the world makes carboys and they are in Italy, too far to be economical... crazy.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #27
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd suggest buying some BB's soon too since they will probably rise in price due to the raising price of oil.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 06-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #28
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I never dreamed that my glass carboys, immersion chiller, keg shells, and hop stash would become part of my nest egg. I feel like Jed Clampett.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 06-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
chachi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is this for real? The two shops I have been in here are still selling them for just under $20. I guess I will have to ask the guys in my LHBS next time I am in there.

: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Keg 1: "Wing Ding" Bohemian Lager
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
On Deck: Diapers and sleep

Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #30
Shay
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
I never dreamed that my glass carboys, immersion chiller, keg shells, and hop stash would become part of my nest egg. I feel like Jed Clampett.

TL
No kidding, but if the pace continues this might be true of almost everything.

Quick Reply