Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Funny Smell after Baking Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
Rockweezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Funny Smell after Baking Bottles

I just bottled my new IPA and about half way through I smelled one of my 22's. It smelled funny. I don't know really how to describe it. Here's what I did to sanitize. After starting with used clean bottles, I rinsed them again with really hot water and scrubed them with a brush. Then I sealed them with tin foil, put them in the oven for an hour after the temp reached 350 degrees. I did 18 yesterday and 12 today the same way before I bottled. I am wondering if my IPA may be ruined due to poor sanitation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I doubt that you ruined the batch, but next time I would sanitize with iodophor or even <gasp> bleach.

- magno

Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno
next time I would sanitize with iodophor or even <gasp> bleach.
...or Star San.

In any case, 350 is much hotter than you really need for sanitizing bottles. 200 would be plenty warm, and you wouldn't have nearly the risk of cracking a bottle from thermal shock when you open the oven.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
cyberjoey80

Recipes 

Did it smell like cat pee? I know this sounds stupid but did it have a sour, kind or hot pee smell to it? I have noticed from making fish sticks (which I do several times a week) that sometimes foil left in the oven has a kind of pungent odor to it...kind of like playing in a litterbox and looking for some "rocks." I just switched to keg but I would just fill a five gallon bucket (not a fermenter to avoid scratching) with an idophor/ water solution, submerge about 7 on the bottom and one laying across the top (22oz). Then take those 8 out and do 8 more. While the next 8 are in, I quickly give a rinse down just to make sure all the idophor is out....then I bought a keg and never looked back. I dont see the reason for the oven if you ask me...and you probably should'nt. Hope it helps.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll chime in---

use star san. much easier. no-rinse.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I sanitize with the Star also. Very easy, no rinse sanitizer, and no need to bake the bottles (I've never actually heard of that before!)...

Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I have heard of it, I think Glibiddy does it when he's not kegging. It's a perfectly legit way of sanitizing, but you don't want them to get up to 350 degrees.

With that said, Star-San and Iodophor are cheap and easy, and since I need to make a batch of sanitizer on bottling day anyway....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Baking in an oven is an acceptable way to sanitize per Palmer
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

Quote:
Oven
Dry heat is less effective than steam for sanitizing and sterilizing, but many brewers use it. The best place to do dry heat sterilization is in your oven. To sterilize an item, refer to the following table for temperatures and times required.

Table 3 - Dry Heat SterilizationTemperature
Duration

338°F (170°C)
60 minutes

320°F (160°C)
120 minutes

302°F (150°C)
150 minutes

284°F (140°C)
180 minutes

250°F (121°C)
12 hours (Overnight)

The times indicated begin when the item has reached the indicated temperature. Although the durations seem long, remember this process kills all microorganisms, not just most as in sanitizing. To be sterilized, items need to be heat-proof at the given temperatures. Glass and metal items are prime candidates for heat sterilization.

Some homebrewers bake their bottles using this method and thus always have a supply of clean sterile bottles. The opening of the bottle can be covered with a piece of aluminum foil prior to heating to prevent contamination after cooling and during storage. They will remain sterile indefinitely if kept wrapped.

One note of caution: bottles made of soda lime glass are much more susceptible to thermal shock and breakage than those made of borosilicate glass and should be heated and cooled slowly (e.g. 5 °F per minute). You can assume all beer bottles are made of soda lime glass and that any glassware that says Pyrex or Kimax is made of borosilicate.
It seems to me to be a little ackward and old school , but it is a rainy-day solution if you were strapped for funds or were snowed in.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Interesting - that's sterilized, not sanitized, for any of our more anal-retentive members.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I baked all my bottles at 350 for 1.5 hours, seemed to work fine, no weird smell. I didn't put tin foil on until after, but I baked the foil with the bottles to sterilize it too.

edit: I have never made fish sticks...

Quick Reply