Fried my Johnson...A419 that is!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copbrew133

Reaction score
I brewed a standard bitter today on the new brew stand. Things went very well. While mashing I went to check the temperature of my ferm chamber/ chest freezer controlled by the Johnson A419. Could not get it to power up the freezer. The display worked fine and I set the setpoint down to 60, just to see if it would turn on the freezer (which was reading 64 from the probe)..............nothing. So I unplugged it, took the cover off, and low and behold it looked like somebody took a blow torch to it. Charred inside and smelled of burnt wiring. I took the probe out of the harness to possibly use again and chucked the rest in the garbage. I write this, feeling like a dumb arse, because I did not have it plugged into any surge protection or the like and hopefully others who are just setting up theres wont go through the same. Luckily this wasn't a lager I was brewing and can ferment the beer in the house.

No idea, it's Florida and we've had a few storms, lightning maybe. Thanks, I kept the probes, and I'll go dig the cords out.

Back