Fridge made for carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betelgeuse4721

Reaction score
Guys and gals,

Does any company make a smaller-sized fridge specifically for carboy temperature regulation?

I live in Florida and I can never ferment at the lower, suggested temperatures of some beer types.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Brady

Any fridge that will fit a carboy would work. A better option though (IMO) is to use a chest freezer and a temperature controller that keeps it in ferment range. The only real drawback to that is lifting them in and out but lots of folks use this method and a large one will fit multiple carboys at once.

Or do what I did and keep your eyes out for a used one of these:

22563d1301109382-new-fermentation-chamber-score-cooler.jpg

From what I hear, the best option is a mini fridge modified with an external temperature control. That's for people like me on a "what can I put together from craigslist" budget.

In terms of pre-made, I've never actually known anyone with one :D

Not aware of any fridges specifically but there's always the option of a external temperature regulator on a small chest freezer. Alternately, have you tried the t-shirt and water basin method to keep the temp down (as in cover the carboy in a old shirt with it all sitting in a ice bath, possibly a fan on it to help evaporation)?

Interesting. I'm definitely going to look into a chest freezer.

I'm surprised that there isn't a specific product for that. Would any of you be interested in buying something like that if it did exist?

I use a regular old frig with a temp controller. I can brew a ten gallon batch, split it into two five gallon carboys, put a blow off tube and let it go.

I'm surprised that there isn't a specific product for that. Would any of you be interested in buying something like that if it did exist?

If the end cost made me feel good, definitely.
"End cost" meaning that it isn't so expensive that I would want to do it myself for cheaper. "Feel good" meaning that I wouldn't feel like the amount spent above doing myself is a waste.

If someone did, it would cost 5 times what you'd spend doing it yourself... and they'd sell a ton of them anyway, I'm sure.

only premade is a 30-50 bottle wine fridge.
If you rip out the shelves for space most will go up to 70 on the lowest setting.

Fridge/freezer and a add-on controller is the cheaper and better option.

Ah but there is a marvelous device perfect for carboys, and you can grab them on CL/eBay fairly cheap.

Milk Cooler!

All the benefits of a chest freezer with convenient side loading. The one I have will hold 8 carboys and also doubles as my corny lagering chamber.

It would be impossible to purpose-make a fridge for this and still be profitable. If you were to design one, it would basically be just like all the 4.4cuft minifridges out there but the compressor would be mounted up high. Why? Because carboys are narrow at the top and the compressor bumpout would fit neatly behind the neck. A buddy of mine just got a reclaimed lab fridge that would be PERFECT for a 8 gallon conical. It's like 18" square footprint and 4' high.

Back