Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fridge in Detached garage in wintertime.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
StankAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fridge in Detached garage in wintertime.

Hello all,
I have a standard full sized fridge in my detached garage. During the summer I use it to ferment my brews with a temp controller.
I am concerned about using the fridge during the winter. Since the garage is detached the temp in there is usually the same as outdoors. This means that the days where it is 15-20F outside it will also be the same temp in the garage.
I thought about the light bulb trick or even one of These fridge heaters.
So does anyone have any ideas about using the fridge in the freezing winter temps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

you can use a heating pad but why not just ferment in the house? After all thats what laundry rooms are for. If your hellbent on fermenting inside the fridge, it deffinintly would insulate but your still 15 degrees below freezing point so even with the heater i dont know if your going to be up to temp. On the website- "Even if your refrigerator is in an unheated garage that gets down to 42°F. during the winter, you can still brew an ale that requires a 60° - 65° fermentation temperature"...MINIMUM OF 42 DEGREES...i wouldnt risk it

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
StankAle

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
you can use a heating pad but why not just ferment in the house? After all thats what laundry rooms are for. If your hellbent on fermenting inside the fridge, it deffinintly would insulate but your still 15 degrees below freezing point so even with the heater i dont know if your going to be up to temp. On the website- "Even if your refrigerator is in an unheated garage that gets down to 42°F. during the winter, you can still brew an ale that requires a 60° - 65° fermentation temperature"...MINIMUM OF 42 DEGREES...i wouldnt risk it
I saw that quote, that is what prompted me to post here. I dont have a laundry room, just a huge unfinished basement that gets down to 50F in the winter.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
BoxofRain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StankAle View Post
I saw that quote, that is what prompted me to post here. I dont have a laundry room, just a huge unfinished basement that gets down to 50F in the winter.
Why don't you lager over the winter then?

Quick Reply