Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Freezing Beer Lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
OffRoad322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Freezing Beer Lines

Hi all,
I'm new to home brewing and just finished my first batch. It's not bad for the first one. I have a home kegerator made from a GE Refrigerator (freezer on top and fridge on bottom). I bought the fridge off craigslist that already had holes for taps installed through the top freezer door. I ran the lines from the kegs up through holes already there from the fridge to freezer. There is about a foot and a half of line actually in the freezer to the shanks. My problem is that when we don't drink beer overnight the beer slightly freezes in the line. Leaving the freezer door open for a few minutes seems to solve the problem. But I obviously don't want to do that every time nor is it a good thing I'm sure.

My Question: How would you solve the problem?

1) Wrap the line in the freezer with insulation wrap.

2) Use a temp controller for both the freezer and fridge (do they make such a thing?)

3) Suggestions?

Sorry for the long story, but I appreciate any advise you can give me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Seems like a strange place to put the taps. Since most fridges have separate controls for the fridge and freezer, have you tried adjusting the freezer so its as warm as possible?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Nanobru
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Setting the freezer to its warmest setting will only get it down to about 30 degrees. If you are handy or know a HVAC guy, you can change the thermostat control in the freezer to make it run like a fridge. The best and easiest option would be to reroute the lines completely in the fridge.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
OffRoad322
Recipes 

Since it is an older fridge/freezer I think the adjustments are limited. I have the fridge cranked to the max and it's perfect and the freezer on the warmest setting.

Adjusting the thermostat would be great, but I'm not that handy. What about wrapping the lines with insulated wrap like you do with freezing pipes?

Quick Reply