Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Free kegerator!...You get what you pay for...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
boondocksaint
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Free kegerator!...You get what you pay for...

Hey folks!

A few months ago I picked up an almost free kegerator. Almost free b/c I gave my buddy a few bucks for the tap, dual guage reg, CO2 tank, etc.

I was planning on getting into kegging in the next year anyway but figured I could use it as a ferm chamber in the mean time. Well...

I opened the fridge yesterday for the first time in a while and noticed what I believe to be black mold spotting the inside of this fridge. It was on the inside of the doors, walls, and inside & outside of the drawers on the bottom. There was a piece of wood set up as a shelf which is where I believe the mold came from. I got rid of the wood and spent a couple hours scrubbing the entire fridge inside with bleach. The fridge is a thousand times better (cleaner) now but I'm still kind of freaked out by the mold. I feel like there could still be nasties hidden in some nook or cranny that I can't even see and I don't think I want to put a keg in there much less a carboy of something I just spent a day brewing.

Dunno, since it's already got a tap drilled and installed maybe I can throw it on CL & trade it to somebody that wants a kegerator for a 'clean' fridge that I can convert myself.

Thoughts? Would you chance it or chalk it up as a total loss?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
northcal
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I say use it. It'll get black mold and every other color of fungus eventually, even if it was new.

Just keep your beer in kegs and you'll be fine.

Relax and have a homebrew, you'll be fine.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:14 AM   #3
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You will be fine, just don't get a free one that has had meat go bad. I was given one that smelt nice like fresh bleach until a few days later. Found out it had a meat puddle in it. Off to the dump it went. Thankfully the buddy that gave it to me hauled it and paid the dump fee. NASTY that smell never goes away....

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
boondocksaint
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcal View Post
I say use it. It'll get black mold and every other color of fungus eventually, even if it was new.

Just keep your beer in kegs and you'll be fine.

Relax and have a homebrew, you'll be fine.
I guess I can see using it for a kegerator as the kegs are sealed, etc. as long as the lines are kept clean (I know, that's a given either way). But, I don't think I can bring myself to use it as a ferm chamber. Just seems like playing with fire, ya know? I don't know if those furry little nasties could make their way into an airlock but I'd hate to find out they can the hard way...

Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I guess I can see using it for a kegerator as the kegs are sealed, etc. as long as the lines are kept clean (I know, that's a given either way). But, I don't think I can bring myself to use it as a ferm chamber. Just seems like playing with fire, ya know? I don't know if those furry little nasties could make their way into an airlock but I'd hate to find out they can the hard way...
Do you breathe air? Guess what nasties are in common everyday air.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
Do you breathe air? Guess what nasties are in common everyday air.
All the little nasties from a freezer that has mold in it
“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
northcal
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I really wouldn't hesitate to use it for fermenting.

You must be a new brewer?... LOL- relax, have a homebrew, and enjoy your free gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
I don't think I can bring myself to use it as a ferm chamber. Just seems like playing with fire, ya know? I don't know if those furry little nasties could make their way into an airlock but I'd hate to find out they can the hard way...

Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Falcon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts

I agree with these folks- if you're really worried about it, leave it unplugged in the sun on your driveway (Make sure it's back far enough people don't think it's free) and let the sun do the cleansing. Then give it another good go-around with bleach- you can even take the seals off the doors and get in all the cracks- soak the rubber seals in oxyclean and wipe off with bleach- nothing will survive- at least nothing that's not in the air all the time-

Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4453 Times on 3241 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I'll take it if you don't want it!

I get some black mold occasionally, as whenever I have an empty and unplugged fridge (yes, I have like 5 fridges and 3 freezers, not including the one in my camper- don't judge me!) someone closes the door and by the time I find it, it is yucky with mold. A good cleaning fixes it right up.

I know that when a fridge or freezer is unused, it should be left open. But even though I leave it open, with towels in the door jam to keep it from closing, some helpful soul closes it.

My grandson closed the fridge in my camper the other day, and by the time I opened it it had already started to look a bit icky. A little sponge and bleach water is all that's needed.

boondocksaint Likes This 
Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

A couple of douses, ( sprays), with Hydrogen Peroxide work well on themold issues, with a little elbow grease.

I have to "hotel size" refrigerators that I bought at a "cash liquidation" center, both work, but both were grungy and moldy.

Peroxide and a mild scrub brush cleaned them right up, and I put a small pan of non "matchlight" charcoal in them to run for a week, to clean up any off aromas.

I use one for a ferm chamber, and my First Wife uses one for a "cheese cave".

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

boondocksaint Likes This 

Quick Reply