Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Found source of infection!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Found source of infection!

I think I found it!

Like many, I have a bucket collection.
I keep getting a recurrent lacto infection about half the time I brew.
(AG only, and I keg.)

Couple of weeks ago I took some vacation to watch the kids while SWMBO went antiquing with her sister.

I brewed 6 batches in 7 days, and found out which buckets have the lacto.

Well, after tossing out 3 AG batches in one week. (12 man hours wasted)
I have decieded to pitch all my plastic buckets and have ordered a couple of 6 gal better bottles to use as primary fermenters.

Does anyone use these? Do I need a blow off, or is 6 gal big enough?

Thanks,

Joel

God's own drunk, and a fearless man.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I would venture a guess that about half the forum regulars use better bottles and the other half are split between glass, buckets and conicals. With good temperature control, I ferment 5.5 gallons in the 6g BB and yes, use a blowoff. You can put some 1/2" ID over the large nipple on the orange carboy caps. If you want to go bigger, swipe some discarded caps off the company water cooler bottles, drill a hole and insert a nylon hose barb in whatever size you want (lowes and HD should have them).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

The same thing drove me to use better bottles. I just didn't have as many lacto infections before I switch. Man you stubborn. Depending on the batch I use a blow off tube. I don't do anything special though, just stick a tube on the airlock.

Quick Reply