Found a good deal on 15gal aluminum brewpots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And I thought I'd share with you guys. I was online the other day and decided to go ahead and finally get something thats bigger than my 7.5gal turkey fryer pot. The boilivers were constant, every brewday, at least twice, up and out the boiling wort would go! So I found this place online and ordered a 15gal pot. No more boilovers for me, even for 10gal batches!

A word of caution, a 55,000 BTU Bayou Classic burner will not bring 12 gallons of water to a boil in anything under eternity. I tried for 45 minutes and never acheived a boil.

IMG00396-20100514-12401.jpg

www.lionsdeal.com (although currently I can't get there to link it, stupid work computer is locked down tighter than the pentagon)

I'm not affiliated in any way with this website, I'm just passing on a good deal.

$89 delivered!

I was trying to boil 7 gal in a 7.5gal pot, so the boilovers were inevitable really. I only had about 2", and the foam from the hotbreak was what spilled out. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the new pot. I'll be using it for standard size batches until I can get a new regulator to crank that burner up to 20psi. :D

Nice. I think I may be getting one of the aluminum ones...after doing some research on aluminum pots.

What would be better...a 10 gal (40 quart) or 15 gal (60 quart) for someone about to make the jump into all grain?

If you're a Sams Club memeber, you can get a 15 gallon aluminum pot for $45.88 plus shipping. I priced it out to $57 shipped myself but think I'm going the keggle route instead.

A word of caution, a 55,000 BTU Bayou Classic burner will not bring 12 gallons of water to a boil in anything under eternity. I tried for 45 minutes and never acheived a boil.

Mine will. It will boil the first runnings before I have the second in it if I want.

regulator1.JPG

This regulator does not work well under 10 psi. I should add a valve.

I actually found a better deal with shipping, on Amazon.com for a 10 gal. Went 10 since I'm still hammering down recipies, but you're right, I will make the jump eventually. Just not soon enough to justify the extra couple bucks.

40 Quart @ Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
15 this way you can do 10 gallon batches in the future. You know you want too..

If a 7.5 is barely big enough for a full boil of a 5 gallon batch (I have to watch mine like a hawk), is a 15 big enough for a 10. I'm guessing that the evaporation rate for a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon is close to the same, all else being equal. So I'd be boiling about 12 to 12.5 gallons as opposed to 6.5 to 7. I'd just like to be sure before pulling the trigger on the 15 Gal pot and a second burner.

I am not fond of putting extra stuff in my beer, but with my 7.5 turkey fryer I can watch it boil all day with a few gas drops in it.

That said, I would not mind a larger pot myself. After a temp controller. And after I perfect my DIY hops strainer...

If a 7.5 is barely big enough for a full boil of a 5 gallon batch (I have to watch mine like a hawk), is a 15 big enough for a 10. I'm guessing that the evaporation rate for a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon is close to the same, all else being equal. So I'd be boiling about 12 to 12.5 gallons as opposed to 6.5 to 7. I'd just like to be sure before pulling the trigger on the 15 Gal pot and a second burner.

Well you start off with about 1 gallon of head space in a 5 gallon batch, with a 15 gallon you start off with double the space, but your boil off is going to be the same rate. So while you go from 6.5 gallon preboil to 5 gallons post in a small pot, you would end up going from 11.5 to 10 gallons in the larger pot. Assuming similar diameter with same heat source.

I have a 15 gallon pot today. I still have to split some of the 90-120 minute boils into 2 pots & merge them later on in the boil. If I had it to do over again I would get a 20 gallon pot!

Boil off has a lot to do with the pot, so the boil off will be different than a smaller pot (probably more.) But the boil off per hour at the same gas level will be the same in the same pot regardless of how full it is. I have no problem getting 11 gallons from my 60 qt pot.

I have a very similar 15 gal. aluminum pot. It works for 10 gallon batches but I've also had regular boilovers and I use copious amounts of Fermcap-S in my boil. I generally collect ~ 14 gallons of run-off. I just bought a 26-gallon to replace my 15 gallon. I don't like watching the boil.

Back