Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > forgot starsan....bleach mixture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
nchomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default forgot starsan....bleach mixture

dagnabit, just got back from the lhbs and i forgot my cleaning solution. wanna bottle later today. did i hear someone say you can make a bleach mixture to clean/sanitize?
i get so excited when i am surrounded by beer making ingredients, i'd forget my head if it wasn't attached.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
nchomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

whoops, just read one of the title threads. there is a "hot water, no detergent" method. i always soak my bottle in hot water, and also rinse them in hot water, would that suffice?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What does Snoop Dog use to sanitize his equipment?

Blee-aaach

Old 11-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

one cap full per gallon of water, the bottles must be bone dry though. Bleach is not a "no-rinse sanitizer", it will work great just make sure you do not use too much and be sure the bottles are dry.

placing them upside down in the top rack of your dish washer works great.

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1oz of bleach per 5 gallons of water will make a no-rinse solution at 80ppm if the pH is below 8. As for getting the pH below 8, 1 oz of distilled vinegar will do the trick but only add this after the bleach has been mixed into the water. I am not responsible if you add the vinegar to the bleach directly and gas yourself out of the room.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
rtockst
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
1oz of bleach per 5 gallons of water will make a no-rinse solution at 80ppm if the pH is below 8. As for getting the pH below 8, 1 oz of distilled vinegar will do the trick but only add this after the bleach has been mixed into the water. I am not responsible if you add the vinegar to the bleach directly and gas yourself out of the room.
Yesssss this is exactly what I was looking for! Where did you hear this from? I listen to the Basic Brewing Radio podcasts sometimes and the host talked with the inventor of StarSan. He was actually preaching about how well a bleach/water/vinegar solution works for sanitizing and almost no one uses it because bleach is the boogey man.

I was wanting to ask, has anyone ever tried using the mixture described above? I was going to use this idea because it is supposed to be no rinse, and has a contact time of something pretty brief (2 minutes maybe?)

Primary: Oktoberfest!!

Secondary:

Bottled:

Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtockst View Post
Yesssss this is exactly what I was looking for! Where did you hear this from? I listen to the Basic Brewing Radio podcasts sometimes and the host talked with the inventor of StarSan. He was actually preaching about how well a bleach/water/vinegar solution works for sanitizing and almost no one uses it because bleach is the boogey man.

I was wanting to ask, has anyone ever tried using the mixture described above? I was going to use this idea because it is supposed to be no rinse, and has a contact time of something pretty brief (2 minutes maybe?)
Yeah thats Charlie Talley's formula, 2 min should be plenty of contact time. I have never personally used that because I have never ran out of star san, but I did note the formula so that if I ever found myself in a pinch I could use it. He said anything more than 1oz per 5 gal of water isn't necessary for sanitizing and adding more won't help you at all, you simply need to get the pH below 8. I do use a bit more when cleaning with bleach, but then I am not interested in its ability to sanitize.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
rtockst
Recipes 

Can you remember if he said anything about how much chlorine is not good to have in your beer? What ppm of chlorine will affect how your beer turns out? I noticed that the water breakdown for some regions in England have a chlorine ppm of over 200 I think. I know this gives them a certain characteristic flavor, but when does this chlorine become a problem, and how does it change the taste?

Secondary:

Bottled:

Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Relax man, just do that Tondef said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 12-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
rtockst
Recipes 

yes, good advice. i wonder why more people don't use it? its got to be cheaper than starsan and iodophor

Secondary:

Bottled:

Quick Reply