New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Force carbing, or CO2 leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
jamesdawsey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Force carbing, or CO2 leak?

Hey folks,

Long story short: I'm wondering if force carbing takes several adjustments due to CO2 being progressively absorbed into solution, or if I have a systemic problem.

Long story long:
So i've been force carbonating my beers ever since I started kegging; about 3 months/4 brews ago. Every time I have kegged, carbed, then put the keg in the fridge, and returned to maintain the carbonation as the beer cools throughout the next day. Now here's the weird thing: I understand that the actual PSI will lower as the temperature inside the keg lowers(keg day/carbing at about 65*F), but up to three days after kegging I am still adding CO2 up to 20 lbs. because the pressure reading tends to drop, even all the way to 0 psi in as few as 8 hrs. I've progressively began with more CO2 at the initial keg day from 20 up to 40 psi according to my regulator since I put this system together. One suggestion is that I have a leak. I don't think so because after about 3 days I can level it out at 8-10 psi and it's well carbed, but due to the strange looks I've gotten from folks when recounting my methods I'm curious as to whether this happens only on my system.

Am I wasting CO2 due to a leak?
Is this a normal/expected occurence due to temp. changes?
Is my regulator unreliable?

Purely curious. I don't currently understand the chemistry/physics of suspending a gas in a liquid solution, and certainly appreciate any helpful advice.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think you may have leak. Pressurize your keg, then spray some Windex or other soapy solution on all the fittings and around the lid. Look for bubbles.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
starman
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Room temperature beer needs a much higher pressure to force it into solution. 30 psi @ 65f for 2.5 volumes.

You don't have a leak, the co2 just hasn't fully saturated the beer at room temp so as it chills the co2 is absorbed and your pressure drops.

There is a chance that reduction in pressure will make your lid loose seal if you're not keeping it on gas while cooling.

I'd suggest chilling your brew next time prior to force carbing.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Room temperature beer needs a much higher pressure to force it into solution. 30 psi @ 65f for 2.5 volumes.

You don't have a leak, the co2 just hasn't fully saturated the beer at room temp so as it chills the co2 is absorbed and your pressure drops.

There is a chance that reduction in pressure will make your lid loose seal if you're not keeping it on gas while cooling.

I'd suggest chilling your brew next time prior to force carbing.
What this guy said! I'd suggest carbing the beer at the intended serving temp.

follow this chart to set your pressure.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Don't post more than one thread per topic. It's confusing.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Quick Reply