Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Foamy Randall Pour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Jay1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Foamy Randall Pour

Just got a Blichmann Hop Rocket and I'm getting a lot of foam.

I added 3oz of leaf hops and hooked it up to the keg with a Cobra tap to pour from. It's sitting in my kegerator so everything is nice and cold. The fist few pours were nothing but foam and I kept pouring until it was purged.

Now every pour after is really foamy and it seems to push the beer out faster than it would if I was doing a normal pour with the same pressure. Everytime I go grab another pour the line has gas in it. Even if I dump beer until the line runs clean it still delivers a really foamy beer. It sort of looks like a nitro pour, how you can watch the beer settle out. However, it takes a long time to do that and the beer is delivered flat with a big glob of foam.

I'm pouring carbed beer pushing with 6psi., through the Hop Rocket (which has 3oz of Citra hops), out of a Cobra tap.

Please help. I would love to like this thing!

Jay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made a randall out of a water filter and had the same issue. I could be wrong but maybe the hops are breaking up the beer and causing the bubbles. Something like a nucleation effect taking place from the carbonation in the beer????? I'm not sure but the beer tasted great

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRy View Post
Something like a nucleation effect taking place from the carbonation in the beer????? I'm not sure but the beer tasted great
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I like how Blichmann shows a video of how to use it and gets a perfect pour. That's a little misleading.

Quick Reply