Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Flow meter regulator- okay for kegging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
aeviaanah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Flow meter regulator- okay for kegging?

I have single gauge co2 regular attached to a flow meter. Will this style regulator work with home kegging? Most ive seen are dual gauge without flow meter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1285 Times on 1036 Posts

Sounds like you have a welding setup. A flow meter is totally useless for kegging...

Cheers!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Huff360
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeviaanah View Post
I have single gauge co2 regular attached to a flow meter. Will this style regulator work with home kegging? Most ive seen are dual gauge without flow meter.
Depends. Is the gauge a high pressure or low pressure? If the regulator will adjust to 12 psi or so you should be fine.

The flow meter -could- be useful if it is a low enough flow. You could use it to detect leaks. I doubt that it would be that low though.

As day_trippr said, you probably have a welding rig. The gauge is most likely high pressure and the regulator is a flow regulator, not a pressure regulator.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1285 Times on 1036 Posts

You shouldn't have to think very hard about this to realize if there's a flow gauge on a two gauge regulator it's going to be the low pressure side (ok, if you need to think about it, think about how useful a CO2 regulator would be with a high-pressure flow meter and a low pressure gauge).

And a flow meter at the tank isn't going to be helpful in finding a leak unless the leak is huge, in which case you'll hear it before you can read the gauge.

Anyway...there's a decent chance simply swapping the flow meter for a low pressure gauge will make the regulator beer-friendly...

Cheers!

Quick Reply