Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Floating Thermometer=FAIL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
BillyVegas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Floating Thermometer=FAIL

Broken Floating Thermometer in the last 15 minutes of my heady Breakfast Oatmeal/Maple/Molasses/Vanilla/Bourbon stout.

Why the hell did I even keep it in there mid-boil?

Moral of the story... Stick to the clip on candy-therms or the Digital therm... Boot your floating thermometers!

Still deciding if I should do a super-careful strain and cool-down or ditch it. The thermometer casing broke... looks like some of the red wax/epoxy type stuff may have leaked in... as well as some of the steel balls. The thermometer itself inside seems fine.

Stupid damn $7 floating thermometers!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Seems to be the day for it, Eh? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/another-broken-floating-thermometer-thread-127881/

I haven't read it, but I've been there done that....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
BillyVegas
Recipes 

Did you ditch your batch or use it as an exercise in not getting ANYTHING near your Primary from the trub....

May not be a bad exercise since this will be my first Shirron Plate Chiller usage as well...

Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Mine was an internal break in the thermometer. So nothing ended up in my beer. I just threw the damn thing in the garbage and kept brewing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
BillyVegas
Recipes 

I don't think Im ditching this brew... too promising.

I'll be the guinea pig... I'll make sure nothing goes in that damn primary except sweet, sweet wort.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
DoubleXL
Recipes 

I keep seeing these threads and it has me thinking "you can tall I have had a few tonight" what about using the stainless racking cane with the stainless screens. To me it would be an excuse to buy on.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
BillyVegas
Recipes 

Wow- didn't know stainless racking equipment existed... with filters no less.

I'd love to get one with some kind of.. three stage filter equipment that I could disassemble for easy cleaning.. that would be epic.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
mattmcl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I had a broken floating therm too a few weeks back. So many people have had issues with those.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
BillyVegas
Recipes 

Just pitched WL Londan Ale Yeast... After leaving the trub and sorting through it... saw LOTS of those little balls in it. Luckily, my painters mesh didnt allow ANY trub garbage through the chiller...

LOVE THIS SHIRRON as well... Chilled out to probably a perfect average of 70F... 66degF on the top reading with a IR Therm, and about 80+/-F on the bottom with a digi-prod therm... Averages out good enough for me... very awesome chiller.

Quick Reply