Float Switch, Sight Glass, or Both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingBrewer22

Reaction score
I plan on running an e-kettle, MLT, and HLT through my recently acquired BCS-460 and was wondering what the differences were between implementing a sight glass and a float switch? Don't they essentially accomplish the same task - allowing me to know the liquid level?

A sight glass is a human readable device and the BCS would have no idea what it reads. A float switch can be integrated into automated decisions like shutting off a water supply or turning off a pump.

A float switch can also be used as a safety feature to keep the heating element from firing if no liquid was in the kettle.

Ya don't say Bobby :cross: I understand the manual/human visible vs. electronic differences. What I was trying to get at is if I can simply use a float switch connected to my bcs to monitor liquid levels, not necessarily automate pumps or anything.

Ya don't say Bobby :cross: I understand the manual/human visible vs. electronic differences. What I was trying to get at is if I can simply use a float switch connected to my bcs to monitor liquid levels, not necessarily automate pumps or anything.

Perhaps it's the way you're stating the question?
A float switch can signal full/not full, but to say it can monitor is a stretch. What you appear to be describing is a level sensor. I'm still looking for a low cost level sensor to integrate into our stands. Let me know if you find something.

Back