Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Flame out hops and CFC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
drez77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Flame out hops and CFC

I am planning to upgrade to a CFC and I am wondering if it would be better to have the flameout hops in a hop-back as opposed to throwing them in the kettle. I am worried that if I throw them in the kettle they will sit in the hot wort to long and loose some of the aroma. Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I guess it depends on how long you plan to take draining the kettle. I get 10 gallons out in about 8 minutes. That's a reasonable amount of time for a kettle steep aroma addition but you could augment it with a dry hop if you wanted to. Sure, a hop back is ideal but it's another thing to clean too.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Gabe
It's a sickness!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use my CFC along with my False Bottom to do the job, granted I only use leaf hops, but I can drain my kettle pretty fast after flameout! It actually works really well, the hops are a natural filter and as the hot wort filter through it strips the hops of all the oils.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I just picked up a false bottom for my keg. Most of the hops I bought this year were whole. My last session with whole hops turned in to a draining nightmare. Maybe I am just over worried about swapping to a cfc. I plan to follow Bobby's instructions and get one built over the weekend and give it a go next week. I still have the Hop-Back/ grant already built so I may just give it a try latter on in the year. I planed to pump hot wort through it to sanitize it prior to use.

Quick Reply